Thread: Woltz's semi-scratch strat build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentor

Woltz's 1st scratch build

So while I'm waiting for the nitro to dry on my Pitbull TL kit, I've started getting things organised for a semi-scratch build. I'll order a neck from Pitbull and build the body from scratch. This intention is for this to be a strat for my wife to learn guitar on as long as it doesn't come out too heavy.

Picked up some 240x45mm thick Tasmanian Oak from a local saw mill.

In hindsight I should've got it a bit narrower as it isn't wide enough for a one piece blank and as a two piece there will be quite a bit cut off.

Picked up a couple second hand planes. Both are in pretty good condition, they just needed a sharpen and a couple minor tweaks.

Slapped together a cheap shooting board from a piece of marine plywood and couple spare pieces of tassie oak. Didn't bother cleaning up the end near the cleat which isn't anywhere close to straight as accentuated by the ply. But the edge of the ply that the plane runs against is perpendicular to the fence which obviously is the most important thing. When I have access to a table saw and other tools I'll make a nicer one and reposition the fence so that it's not right at the end of the board.

Test fit of the two boards after preparing the joint.

Last edited by Woltz; 11-04-2019 at 08:22 AM.