Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Woltz's semi-scratch strat build

Yeah woltz! That'll look great when the clear goes on.

Clever idea with the reference pin on the drill press. I've [never] thought of doing it that way, but very logical. May have to give it a go one day. Thanks!

edited to ad the word "never" - what difference one word can make!
    Last edited by McCreed; 11-08-2019 at 06:15 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Must make pin referencing jig....IGOR! Fetch the instruments.....
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Mentor
    Cheers guys. It has some blemishes but I'm pretty happy so far given it's my first scratch build.

I can't claim the pin referencing idea as my own, I actually saw it on TDPRI.com. The best bit about it is that it obviously wasn't complicated to put together.

The best bit about it is that it obviously wasn't complicated to put together.
    That's what I love about it! The simplicity.
    Some of the string-through jigs you see are still kind of cumbersome IMO.

Now I have to build another hardtail something-or-other just so I can try the pin jig out!!!

Mentor
    Had a f#@* moment yesterday when I accidently dented the top. I've had a few goes with the damp cloth and iron to try and reverse it and it appears to be working. Hopefully with another couple goes I'll be left with something I can easily sand out.

I got the neck cut out last night. Had a small tear out on the heel which I've mostly fixed, just have a small spot to fill and then I need to finish shaping the headstock. After that it's on to the fretboard.

Sorry to hear about your dent Hope you have a good result with the next round of steam.
    That's gonna look great when it all done. I like the Fender meets PRS theme!
    What timber are you going to use for the fretboard? (you may have already said, but I'm forgetful and lazy...)

I've fixed dents in a rosewood fretboard with the damp rag and soldering iron, but I have noticed doing it twice over two days worked really well (I don't know the physics of why, but the time between did seem to make a difference)

Also, when you said "iron" did you mean a clothes iron or a soldering iron? Depending on the size of the dent, a high watt soldering iron might be more effective. I'm pretty sure it will get much hotter than a clothes iron and create more steam quicker in very concentrated area. (mine goes to 450 C)

Just thinking out loud here, if it's a large dent, maybe first goes with the clothes iron and fine tune stubborn areas with the soldering iron.

Let us know how you go.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Really enjoying this one. Hoping to get back to my scratch at some point in the not to distant future.

I've used a steam cleaner before with good results to get dents out. Worth doing, leaving to dry completely and then doing again.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

I've used a steam cleaner before with good results to get dents out. Worth doing, leaving to dry completely and then doing again.
    That's great Sonic! Glad to have some confirmation on my "theory". Thanks.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Sorry to hear about your dent Hope you have a good result with the next round of steam.
    That's gonna look great when it all done. I like the Fender meets PRS theme!
    What timber are you going to use for the fretboard? (you may have already said, but I'm forgetful and lazy...)

I've fixed dents in a rosewood fretboard with the damp rag and soldering iron, but I have noticed doing it twice over two days worked really well (I don't know the physics of why, but the time between did seem to make a difference)

Also, when you said "iron" did you mean a clothes iron or a soldering iron? Depending on the size of the dent, a high watt soldering iron might be more effective. I'm pretty sure it will get much hotter than a clothes iron and create more steam quicker in very concentrated area. (mine goes to 450 C)

Just thinking out loud here, if it's a large dent, maybe first goes with the clothes iron and fine tune stubborn areas with the soldering iron.

Let us know how you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Really enjoying this one. Hoping to get back to my scratch at some point in the not to distant future.

Thanks guys. I'll give the soldering iron a go and see what results I get. The fretboard is Queensland Walnut.

Mentor
    And speaking of fretboard. One of the things I was most worried about stuffing up is done.

I also drilled the holes on the body for the tone and volume pot. Need to head to the big green shed to get the right size drill bit for the switch.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast