Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Woltz's semi-scratch strat build

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    "...I just wish more people were having a crack at scratch builds here but then to be fair it was set up as a forum for the Pitbull Kit Builds.".
    Seems to be the natural progression once you get hooked to move onto a semi scratch or scratch build. The kits are such a good learning tool, doesn't take long to start looking beyond them once you've done a couple.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

[QUOTE= I just wish more people were having a crack at scratch builds here but then to be fair it was set up as a forum for the Pitbull Kit Builds.[/QUOTE]

Built a lot of kits with Pitbull and transitioned to doing my own builds (have a kit or two just sitting now). For myself I suppose was moving to forums more focussed on building to increase my knowledge and not sure that anyone was interested in seeing just scratch builds.
    Tony

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by vh2580 View Post
    Built a lot of kits with Pitbull and transitioned to doing my own builds (have a kit or two just sitting now). For myself I suppose was moving to forums more focussed on building to increase my knowledge and not sure that anyone was interested in seeing just scratch builds.
    Yeh I'm lurking in the background of the projectguitar forum as well because it's more focused on building.

Mentor
    Just a quick minor update.

Last night I finished removing material with the forstner and the body is now ready for routing.

I also enlarged the bridge pickup cavity towards the neck on the working template and confirmed that now the bridge will sit in the required spot to get the correct scale length.

I've also thicknessed the neck blank down to closer to the final 3/4" thickness.

And this arrived...

Mentor
    The postman came again today.

Hopefully this should be the last of the things I need to finish this build.

100% those tritons are the good stuff. I have a good Mikita as well but the triton is a machine.
    Tony

1+ FWIW I am interested ;-)

Mentor
    Had some time this morning so thought I'd start routing the cavities. All going well and almost finished the first passes and then that dreaded sound....

Quite a large tear out. Fortunately it came off mostly as one piece.

So off came the template. And gluing the piece back on.

I'll clean it up and hopefully finish routing the cavities next weekend.

I've also been trying to get the neck pocket on the template right but it's gone from being too tight to too loose. So I may scrap that template and cut a new one off the master.

Bugger, your bit must have picked up on the rising cut. All the rest looks neat and tidy though, nice job!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Bugger, your bit must have picked up on the rising cut. All the rest looks neat and tidy though, nice job!
    Yeh, it's a good lesson for me with this particular wood. I'll be careful the direction I cut in when I route the edge of the body.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast