Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: OctoberBass RCA-4 First Build

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I’d hold off on emigrating until after May. By then we might have an actual government and not a bad parody of The Muppet Show.
    I resent that. 'The Muppet Show' involved some hard-working and talented individuals.

cheers, Mark.

2. Liked by: TZK321

I did say bad parody, did I not?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

O.K. I'll let it rest then.
    However there's a rag-tag rabble of angry pitch-fork wielding red-necks bearing down as I write.

cheers, Mark.

lovely colour!

You can also screw in a large cup hook or eyelet on the edge of the body behind the bridge where the strap button will be to allow you to hang the body for finishing (presuming you will be adding strap buttons).

Color Coat Issue

It's been awhile since I posted. Waiting on the weather to paint outside. I've made many mistakes, but, with patience, I got a color coat I like on the Back of this RCA-4. All went smooth and looked great. After removing the masking tape from the binding, I missed areas. On the second coat, a repair coat if you may, I got some bubbles ONLY on the upper bout. I know the other bumps in the photo, if sanded will reveal more woodtone. This occurred on the last coat of lacquer/ Mixol finish, thinned down so not to go too opaque. Any suggestions as to how to fix this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back finish flaw.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	31358  

So can I ask how much Titebond Red Label glue is required to glue in the set neck. I'm ready, 34" from inside nut to 3/4 forward saddle (G string) position. Do I slather it on? Will it seep all out if I do? Or do I apply... how much? Once I apply the glue, adjust the clamps, and string the cord, fishing line, etc... do I have time to adjust the neck to proper position before I clamp down the neck? The neck tongue and neck pocket has been taped off so raw wood will be glued. This is one of the most crucial process in the build. Just want to make it right.

Well... I guess no guts, no glory.

Quote Originally Posted by OctoberBassRCA-4 View Post
    So can I ask how much Titebond Red Label glue is required to glue in the set neck. I'm ready, 34" from inside nut to 3/4 forward saddle (G string) position. Do I slather it on? Will it seep all out if I do? Or do I apply... how much? Once I apply the glue, adjust the clamps, and string the cord, fishing line, etc... do I have time to adjust the neck to proper position before I clamp down the neck? The neck tongue and neck pocket has been taped off so raw wood will be glued. This is one of the most crucial process in the build. Just want to make it right.
    Didn't see this earlier OBR. you want to have a good even film over the pocket and the neck tenon.
    You will be able to adjust once you get it in, so you can adjust placement as you go to clamp it down.

Have some damp rag or lint free cloth handy as you are going to get some squeeze out, a small flat ended scraper can also help (cut an end off an old plastic credit card or something similar, they work well to get excess squeeze out off without wood damage).

Once you are satisfied with the position, cinch down your clamps, recheck position, clean off any remaining squeeze out, then walk away and have a coffee/tea/beer/wine/shot, pat yourself on the back for a job well done, and come back and see it tomorrow!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thank you FrankenLab!

Well... the deed is done. Glued in the neck. Cleaned up all seepage as she sat all clamped up. Once the nut is filed and set up, I think the action will be good. The MusicMan Humbucker bridge pup is a bit wider than the string spacing. Maybe been placed too far off the bridge. I positioned center, and shimmied the pup towards the E string. The G string sits a bit off center of the pole. 24 hour wait. Then clear coat when the weather allows.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast