When taking photos to load a post about Bass Gig Bags I was dragging some Basses out of their hard cases and when I realised my J Bass was too fat around the bum to fit into a particular gig bag it made me wonder if it fitted into the other hard case which the MMB4 lives in?

The answer was definitely not, but only 5 mm to 10 mm too much too big in a few places including overall length.

This got me thinking as when looking for a hard case online there are so many to choose from and lots of the sellers imply that theirs will fit 'All F types' or something similar. I can safely say that a J Bass will not fit into an Artist Bass Hard Case. Their website product description states 'Will suit Fender P-bass (or equivalent) ,Fender Jazz Bass, Fender Bass VI, and any shape equivalent. It will also fit a Rickenbacker 4003 / 4003S Bass guitar. It has a accessories compartment inside the case.' If I struggle getting a J Bass to fit inside there is no chance for any Riccy shape.

If a Bass hard case is on your wish list I would suggest checking all relevant measurements before ordering one sight unseen. Maybe when doing initial mock build that could be a good time to write down those measurements to assist with researching which case has the best fit.

6 string electric guitar cases do not seem to be as tight fitting as the bodies are generally smaller than a Bass, with exceptions for odd shapes such as V's, Explorers, Firebird, and some of those angry pointy BC Rich looking ones where a more open large rectangular box seems to be the more common way of housing them. I paid $149 for a genuine Epiphone Explorer Hard Case where they are now currently retailing from $199 discounted down to $159 and there is that much spare space for it to flop around inside, the PIT BULL GUITARS DELUXE GUITAR CASE (FOR FV AND EX STYLE GUITARS) at $109.95 is a better buy. The rest of the PBG hard case stock looks the goods too and worth checking them out.

Cheers, Waz