Thread: First Build - XB-1

First Build - XB-1

Hello all!

I'm a big fan of assembly, electrical, and guitars so this made sense! Not a pro at woodworking but I find it enjoyable when I don't mess up. I'm a terrible painter so this is certainly a challenge for me as I wanted a painted body.

So here goes!

I bought the kit based on forum, community support, and options. Well done pitbull! I have an issue with my current pickups on a fender, so I wanted to fit in some seymour duncan. Then I was thinking - why not get crazy. So I bought an n-tuner off eBay to add to the noise. I needed a battery holder so ebay again delivered. The trick was I needed a router template as well... So I 3d printed one! Worked great. I didn't have the proper router bit, but if I did it would have been flawless.

And some upgraded hardware as well. Really like the graph-tech saddles so needed to start off right. Also had envisioned black hardware so had to swap out some kit-hardware. Lessons learned I'll pay more attention to the hardware included and design ideas around that. This certainly won't be my last PB guitar!

Clear should be going on tomorrow and assembly this weekend hopefully!

Bravo!
    That's a heck of a shop too! Nice tools.
    I like your vision, can't wait to see how it turns out.
    What kind of paint did you use? and how did you apply it? Looks good from the one pic.

Thanks Max!

Paint is rattle can Duplicolor enamel - Machine Grey. As stated - not a painter at all and had a few runs because I'm impatient. Got to sanding and it turned out alright! I also stained the neck prior to Tru Oil... Now I didn't think about it but the tru oil obviously has a yellow tint to it so that messed with the color a bit... and also I followed their directions and used steel wool and that was just a mess... so after that bit of a nightmare it's... Ok... Lessons learned I think for next time.

Also I think I would like to stain and shelac to get a deep color rather than painting - because I think that's a bit harder to get that pop. Either way I think I'll like this guitar! Not too worried about looks, just excited to play! Hopefully finish assembly next week. Enjoy!

Finished!

Finished the build!

XB-1
    Enamel painted body
    TruOil Neck
    Black Hardware - Ferrules/covers/screws/jack/switch
    Grover Locking Tuners
    Graph-Tech Tusq Nut
    Graph-Tech Saddles
    N-Tune guitar tuner
    9v In-body Holder (modified body to fit)
    SD '59 bridge and SH-2 Jazz Neck
    SD TripleShot Humbucker rings
    GuitarStrapCo straplocks

Leveled her out, adjusted saddles and she plays like a champ!
    Nice low action and easy to play on the 12 rosewood fretboard. Love it!

Enjoy

5. Liked by: Cliff Rogers, JimC

Very tidy piece of work.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Yes, nice work. Looks good.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Looks awesome!
    Build #1 Explorer EXM-1
    Build #2 IB-4 P-Bass
    Build #3 Single-Cut
    Epiphone Gothic Modifying and upgrading
    Build #4 HB-4 Custom

Very clean and Schmick mate, well done!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks all!

Was a lot of fun, but more importantly it's a lot of fun to play! It's my go-to lately so that probably speaks to something! It really achieved the sound I was looking for. I probably don't need the Triple shots but wanted flexibility. Once I really settle in I know which way I would wire some humbuckers in the future, so surely a learning experience in many ways.

Now I just have to convince my partner to let me start another one... How does everyone else do it? =)

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission.

Either that or start with a waaay more expensive hobby like modifying muscle cars and then swap to guitar building. Everything seems cheaper on a single guitar than on a classic car.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"