Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mmb-4 control problems

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    ... If I separate the red and white wires, do I connect the white to the top of the pot as I have done with the green and bare, and connect the red to where it is now in the side hoop?
    Correct. White to the top/back of the Vol 2 pot with the green & bare, and red to the loop/lug on Vol 1.

Try that and let us know the results. We'll look into the tone after that, if needed.
    Scott.

OK great, I'll have a go tonight and let you know the results. It might not be clear from the pictures I put up but the green and bare is attached to vol 1, the twisted red and white to vol 2. So should I still proceed with what you suggested, but putting the white on vol 1 where the green and bare is currently attached, and then put the red on vol 2 lug?

Sorry, I said in my long post that I was calling the middle pot 'Volume 1' and the pot farthest from the jack 'Volume 2' so we'd have a common frame of reference. That way the numbers match with the coil order... or how I think of them.

But yes, where you currently have the Green & Bare wires on the back of the pot is where you also need to connect the White. And, where the Red & White pair were/are connected to the loop/lug is where you need to connect the Red wire by itself.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Scott.

OK great, thanks for clarifying, I'll write back when it's done.

Hi so I've done the rewiring as advised (please see pics). Now the first control (the one with the green and bare wire on) does not work, up or down no difference. The second control now works as a traditional volume switch, and the third (the tone) does make subtle differences as before.

As you can see from the pics I have put a bit of copper tape around the green and bare as I needed to remove some of the grey plastic from the common pickup wire. I took it off after to see if it made any difference.

Could it be that Ive now cooked the 1st pot? I was better now with my soldering, very quick, limited heat. I used the solder that was already on that pot from when I did the green and bare wire to neaten up that wire, and to attach the white.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1177sm.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	476.2 KB 
ID:	28475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1178sm.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	482.0 KB 
ID:	28476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1179sm.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	458.7 KB 
ID:	28477  

It’s hard to tell from the photos, but is it possible that the Bare wire wrapped around the Green wire is brushing against where your Black wire is connecting? If that’s the case it would probably cut all sound from the Bass when it’s at max volume. Alternatively, if either the Black wire or the White wire has a bad connection then that would stop the volume from having any effect at all, as that coil of the pickup wouldn’t actually be connected to the circuit. Sometimes even with a big blob of solder you can have a bad connection.

The easiest way to tell if you’re getting a signal from a pickup coil is to plug into an amp at very low volume and gently tap the coil pole pieces with the tip of a screwdriver (or something ferrous). With the two volumes at max each coil should sound roughly the same when you ‘tap’. If one is quiet(er) or not working, then it likely either a bad connection or possibly a bad pot.

If you can, test it with the control plate unscrewed like in the images above but connected to an amp. Pluck a string then wiggle the Black and White wires while adjusting that volume and see if there’s any change. Test it with the other volume turned down to 0 to see if you get any sound at any point. If you have access to a multimeter to test the pot that would be even better.

if you still get nothing, and assuming all the other connections are sound, it could be a cooked pot. As a temporary fix you could disconnect your Black wire and add it to where your Red wire is attached, so they are both on the same lug. That volume pot would then control both pickup coils while you get a replacement pot for the other. That’s a last resort though, so test what you can and report back before you start looking for a replacement pot.
    Scott.

Thanks for your reply. I was concerned the pot was broken, so I rewired it to the way it was before to test it, and it is working again. There seems to be some changes now, the first control doesn't turn the volume all the way off any more, perhaps thinning the solder has corrected this connection with the green and bare wire? Now the second control is only loudest at the mid point when the first control is turned all the way up, if it is low, then the second control gets louder in a linear sort of way (I guess the way its meant to). Tone control still makes subtle changes, but they're more noticeable if one or both of the volume controls is lower.

Do you think this is the way it is, or meant to be?

If I wanted to replace the pots is this the one I would need: https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...RoCLEUQAvD_BwE

Thanks again for your help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2