Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First guitar - TLA-1F

First guitar - TLA-1F

G'day guys,

I've finally gotten around to starting a build diary, despite not having done much thus far.

It's a TLA-1F kit and I will be finishing the top in wudtone surfer girl Green, while leaving the sides and back unstained and simply clear coated with wudtone. I've burned a Paisley type pattern around the edges that include some symbols of my travels, Aussie plants, and even some musical inspiration. I've also got a plan in mind for the head that mixes tele and strat shapes. Hard to describe so I guess I'll have to show you all once done.

The kit is a great fit, but arrived without a pick guard. So I'm waiting on that until I finalise measurements and do my drilling. That's also holding up the staining at this stage.

I also have some new inlay dots coming, and although I'm going to do my initial build with pitbull hardware, I think I'll trade out most of it for upgrades should the build come together as expected.

Has anyone here worked with wudtone before, if so any tips? Especially for the clear coating over the unstained sanded wood and burned sections?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2. Liked by: Cliff Rogers

Wudtone is pretty easy to use. And fairly intuitive. Follow the instructions and you won’t have issues. Surfer Girl can be a bit patchy though. Green and blues stains can be a bit unforgiving. The top coat will yellow the wood slightly, but not as much as Tru-oil.

Love what you’ve done with sides.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

I have never used Wudtone so can't help with that. I just wanted to say that your artwork is amazing. It should look quite unique when the guitar is finished.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Thanks fretworm. I figured it would be fairly simple, I've done a bit of reading up on it
    Hopefully with enough coats I can get an even covering into the face of it. Hoping for a slight yellowing to give it a bit of age, as the wood is much whiter than the pictures show.

It doesn't say it explicitly in the instructions, but to do the clear coat on the back and sides, can I just apply the top coat that comes in the finishing kit directly to the wood? No other prep is needed?

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    I have never used Wudtone so can't help with that. I just wanted to say that your artwork is amazing. It should look quite unique when the guitar is finished.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate. Had a fairly clear picture in my head. It's nice when it starts to come out as you planned. Still a long way to go though. I've got a custom white on cream Paisley pick guard on the way to tie it together, so fingers crossed it goes well.

To think that I never liked teles until about 3 months ago,now it's all I can think of!

Update, custom pick guard arrived, and I've just finished shaping it to fit the neck. Drilling and then staining to come later this week.

Also have green nz paua coming to replace those black fret dots.

While I'm waiting, I'm working on the head, following the mock up picture I attached below as a rough guide of what I hope to achieve.

That's kinda cool... For a couple minutes I wondered if I should get a Paisley scratch plate like that for my Paisley JV tele, but it would be too much... This is going to be an interesting and different bit of kit.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    That's kinda cool... For a couple minutes I wondered if I should get a Paisley scratch plate like that for my Paisley JV tele, but it would be too much... This is going to be an interesting and different bit of kit.
    Thanks man. Yeah I'm hoping that once the paint is on and the hardware is all finished that it will all balance out. I want it to stand out and be unique. Won't be to everyone's taste though I wouldn't think, but I think it's funky. Which kit were you thinking to to put a Paisley guard on? In the flesh it's much more subtle, with a gold/cream design over white.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-s.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	36138
    This one. Think it would be too much of a good thing!
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast