Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: First build - PRS-1H

Bit more colour adjustment and putting the neck on.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Oh yes, and it's the right way up too!
    Nice colour

And I now have a neck. Which finally let me see what the guitar looks like. And I wasn't that happy with the fret board. The colour didn't really match. An ebony fretboard would suit better

So I decided to stain that too, to darken it but still leave a bit of the grain showing through. Turned out ok I think. I can always make it darker later.

So I've finally finished staining. Pretty happy with the colours.

Having finished staining I then started scraping the binding in preparation for doing the clear coat. This I must say has been the most difficult and tedious process.

Ran into some problems too.

First was a crack or hollow in the binding which had filled with stain. The more I scraped the more colour I could see.

Next was areas which appears that the binding is too wide. Like it had some of the plastic which had overflowed and hadn't been removed. It might be glue but really looks like plastic to me. I was thinking I'll need to cut out the extra bit of plastic.

And lastly, after spending ages going over the binding on the outside I then started on the f-holes. Only to find that they have even worse cracks in the binding.

At that point I stopped. Really not happy with how that went.

I'm now thinking I'll sand the binding and try and cover it completely with black stain. It certainly was covered quite well in places so I think it will work. Might even look better anyway.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Yeah this will happen. Depending on what stain you've used you may be able to very carefully bleach it with a cotton tip. Somebody on here carefully masked and painted the binding ivory before clears and it looked really good. Tedious extra step, but the results will be worth it. Hopefully someone will be along who remembers which build diary that is in.

The inconsistent width is annoying, I had this on a non Pitbull build, but I was doing a solid, so just taped and painted over it. You might be able to carefully tape and paint that sliver black and blend it into your stain. Once the clears go over you'll never see it.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

So I sanded and stained it black. And honestly I think it looks better with the black anyway. Will have to di a couple more coats to completely cover some parts but it's generally worked pretty well.

Yes that's a good look. You might consider painting the binding in with a fine brush or masking and spraying it black. The black looks great.

Sanding, staining, sanding, oh damn... huge splinter came off the headstock. Oh well I thought it was a tad too long anyway. Reshaping, sanding, staining..... and finally the first coat of wipe on poly. Oh that colour looks nice with the wet poly and the flash.

Oh yes, that looks good! I’m going to use wipe on poly myself for the first time and I’m curious to know how you intend to treat the back of the neck. Previously I’ve used Tru Oil but wasn’t happy until I rubbed it with steel wool. Did the stain ‘move’ at all when you applied the poly? Good job.

10. Liked by: kuanjb

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Oh yes, that looks good! I’m going to use wipe on poly myself for the first time and I’m curious to know how you intend to treat the back of the neck. Previously I’ve used Tru Oil but wasn’t happy until I rubbed it with steel wool. Did the stain ‘move’ at all when you applied the poly? Good job.
    I've got a satin poly which I was going to use. The body and the front of the headstock I'm doing in gloss.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast