Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: Woltz's TLA-1Q

Mentor
    It has been too cold in Canberra to spray paint. So once it warms up I'll get some fresh primer on it and colour etc.

In the interim I've been doing some thinking. I'd decided to rob the toneriders from the kit build for my scratch build. That left me with a dilemma. I still had the kit pickups but do I really need two tele's with single coils?

Well here is what I decided.

Rails pickup in the bridge. I've got a bourns push pull pot on the way so I can do coil split on the bridge and I'll use the kit neck pickup.

jealous...I always wanted a rails pickup in a tele bridge....maybe next time.

Oh my......woltz, you've just given me a terrible idea for a build.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by aido78 View Post
    jealous...I always wanted a rails pickup in a tele bridge....maybe next time.
    This was much cheaper than the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails so I'll let you know what it's like just in case you do go down that path in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Oh my......woltz, you've just given me a terrible idea for a build.
    Haha, honestly I have so many ideas and builds that I want to try that I have to remind myself to be patient with my current builds. I look forward to seeing your latest idea come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Haha, honestly I have so many ideas and builds that I want to try that I have to remind myself to be patient with my current builds. I look forward to seeing your latest idea come to fruition.
    Oh it’s the latest idea, but it is at least 7 build completions away!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Mentor
    So I've been doing a bit of work on the body to try and get it ready for paint again but I'm really close to tossing it and just making a new body as there are a couple of things that are bothering me. We will see how things go.

To try and keep me motivated on the build I sprayed the neck today. I used the Wicked Witch Tinted Nitro that Sydney Guitar Setups are selling. It's had three coats. I'll need to hit the fretboard again as it hasn't quite got full coverage in a couple of spots close to the frets. Once it's had time to dry I'll put the decal on and then spray the clear (also Wicked Witch Nitro).

Jeez! I forgot about this one!

I can appreciate your frustration Woltz, but don't toss out that body. I'm sure you'd regret it one day.
    If you give up on it, just chuck it a cupboard and forget about it for a while. Then one day you'll get something inspiring that pops into your noggin and you can pull it out and go to town.

Neck is looking good though!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Mentor
    So I haven't done much since the last update because any spare time that pops up I've been working on my scratch build. But I did make this.

Ready to rewind a tonerider neck pickup that I had that was dead. It'll be the first time for me winding a pickup be we all have to start somewhere. If it comes out ok then I'll use it instead of the original kit neck pickup.

Mentor
    This build just continues to be a pain in my ass. Need to respray the headstock after a stuff up with the decal application. And spraying the clear coat on the body today went poorly. A lot of foreign material in the clear. Anyway here it is just after I finished spraying clear coat.

Mentor
    Well after the mishap when doing to decal on the headstock I was planning to order some more paint to redo the face of the headstock. But prior to doing that I started wet sanding the body with 1000 grit and all was going well until I managed to sand through the clear on the side somewhere on the lower horn so obviously that didn't get anywhere near enough clear coat in that spot. And at this point I'm done with this build, I've reached my limit. So without doing anything else on the finish I just assembled it, wired it up and strung it up. Here it is in it's crappy state without polishing the body and not having anything on the face of the headstock. Maybe I'll revisit it in future and have another go at the finish.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14