Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Woltz's TLA-1Q

Mentor
    The roller coaster continues.

After deciding to have another go at the finish (saying to myself 4th times the charm), I had to go buy more paint and I thought hmmm I like the red but there is another colour that I really like and I wonder what it'll look like on a guitar.

So after a trip to SCA with the paint code I had one of these cans in my possession. As a side note, they spray quite well and the nozzle can be adjusted to give you vertical or horizontal spray pattern.

So I sanded back the red, sprayed some more primer, bit more sanding to get it flat and then after checking it looked good I sprayed the colour.

And here is the colour sprayed on the guitar.

Then the swear word. The paint has started sinking in a couple spots back into the grain of the wood. I'm confused as to why it happened now because I never had that issue when I finished it in the blue and the red.

Anyway, here is a photo in the sunlight. It's most obvious near the pickup cavities and neck pocket but there are a couple spots where it won't be covered by the pickguard that has the paint sinking into the grain.

Seems I truly am cursed with this guitar building thing. Anyway, now I need to decide whether to leave it, scrape the bindings and clear coat it or try to sand this flat and get another tin of paint and spray another couple coats of colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    The roller coaster continues.

After deciding to have another go at the finish (saying to myself 4th times the charm), I had to go buy more paint and I thought hmmm I like the red but there is another colour that I really like and I wonder what it'll look like on a guitar.

So after a trip to SCA with the paint code I had one of these cans in my possession. As a side note, they spray quite well and the nozzle can be adjusted to give you vertical or horizontal spray pattern.

So I sanded back the red, sprayed some more primer, bit more sanding to get it flat and then after checking it looked good I sprayed the colour.

And here is the colour sprayed on the guitar.

Then the swear word. The paint has started sinking in a couple spots back into the grain of the wood. I'm confused as to why it happened now because I never had that issue when I finished it in the blue and the red.

Anyway, here is a photo in the sunlight. It's most obvious near the pickup cavities and neck pocket but there are a couple spots where it won't be covered by the pickguard that has the paint sinking into the grain.

Seems I truly am cursed with this guitar building thing. Anyway, now I need to decide whether to leave it, scrape the bindings and clear coat it or try to sand this flat and get another tin of paint and spray another couple coats of colour.
    I can see what you mean on the last pic about the lines. Looks a great colour though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentor
    So during the binding scraping a few weeks ago I managed to slip and scratch the paint badly . So I'm refinishing yet again. Although I've definitely settled on this colour so I won't bother uploading any photos of the body until I've resprayed the colour and sprayed the clear.

I haven't had much time in the last couple weeks to do anything because I'd been rehearsing and practicing (on an instrument I can actually play, unlike guitar haha) quite a bit for the Canberra Wind Symphony concert last night.

However, I did get the neck fretted. I just need to pick up a small file to do the fret ends. Also there isn't a 12th marker dot missing, it's just a trick of the light reflecting off the shell inlay.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    I haven't had much time in the last couple weeks to do anything because I'd been rehearsing and practicing (on an instrument I can actually play, unlike guitar haha) quite a bit for the Canberra Wind Symphony concert last night.
    Are you Le P騁omane reincarnated

Looking forward to the end result.

I'm sorry you are having some issues with the application but the colour is epic - that will look incredible in the end

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    Are you Le P騁omane reincarnated
    Haha, not sure what note he tunes to.

Quote Originally Posted by I値l give it a go View Post
    Looking forward to the end result.

Haha so am I mate. One day it might get finished.

Quote Originally Posted by supapuffin View Post
    I'm sorry you are having some issues with the application but the colour is epic - that will look incredible in the end
    Ah I always knew that the woodwork wasn't going to be an issue but that the finishing was going to be the challenge. It has been frustrating but at the same time it has given me the opportunity to learn a lot that I can now translate across to my scratch build.

This build has been born again so many times its amazing
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

That colour with the pau shell has the wow factor mate

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    This build has been born again so many times its amazing
    It's definitely a test of perseverance. Hopefully once it's done though it'll be all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by emuflats View Post
    That colour with the pau shell has the wow factor mate
    Cheers mate. Over time my vision for the finished product has changed as each of the hurdles came up but I'm pretty set on things now.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast