Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Woltz's TLA-1Q

Ouchy. I know this game, sympathies mate.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Dang, was that a drop?
    Was the fret funk from doing fret work prior to applying the Tru oil? Or just naturally accrued
    Nah, the neck pocket has become too tight and when I removed the neck after a test fit the chip broke off.

I didn't actually have to do a lot of fretwork as they were pretty good but it was done prior to applying the tru oil. I had cleaned the neck pretty thoroughly I thought before applying any tru oil so I'm guessing fibres from cloths and dust in the air?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Ouchy. I know this game, sympathies mate.
    Cheers Franken, honestly at this point I'm feeling a bit defeated.

Don’t give up. Relic the cr@p out of it if you have to, but at least get a playable guitar. Even if it is ugly.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Nah, the neck pocket has become too tight and when I removed the neck after a test fit the chip broke off.

I didn't actually have to do a lot of fretwork as they were pretty good but it was done prior to applying the tru oil. I had cleaned the neck pretty thoroughly I thought before applying any tru oil so I'm guessing fibres from cloths and dust in the air?

Cheers Franken, honestly at this point I'm feeling a bit defeated.
    I know this feeling, there’s an ugly LP sitting in a box that nearly got Hendrixed or Townshended during its aborted build.
    At some point it will get pulled out sanded off, and I shall start trying to get it to cooperate.

Call the chip character, and push on mate.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Mentor
    Well I've started sanding back the finish to do it again. I've also decided given the effort I'm going putting in to get the finish I want on the body, that I'd use the time to do a couple things to the neck. There are a couple of chips on the fretboard that I'd been ignoring from the start and when I managed to dirty the fretboard by accident when I polished it and the accumulation beside the frets from the original tru oil finish....things escalated.

Frets and black dots out.

New paua dots in.

I've got a radius sanding block coming from Adam and I'll sand the fretboard and refret before finishing the neck with tinted lacquer.

The paua dots look fantastic. I’ve got some sitting here for my es-1 build but haven’t got around to it, Cheers for the inspiration 👍🏻

That does look a little bit special. I’ve never seen paua against maple before, nice.

Just catching up on some threads and sympathise with the challenges you have faced. None of my builds have gone to plan and quite often ended up with something totally different to what I had in mind.
    In the end they are only perfect for a short while and once you start playing them they develop dings and scratches anyway. Don't beat yourself up too much as whilst we all strive for perfection by aiming for something that looks good, how it plays and sounds will be far more important in the long run.
    Cheers, Waz

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    nearly got Hendrixed or Townshended
    I remember a black and white shot of Townsend at the repairers with the caption 'What have I done?'
    So there was some salvaging going on.

As for Tru-Oil on the neck, I'm not keen on that route. Lots of problems collecting dirt and dust.
    Also easy to mark up while using the fret protectors in the buffing.
    Wears quite quick too. Far better to seal it with a couple of layer of laquer set really hard.

cheers, Mark.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy17 View Post
    The paua dots look fantastic. I’ve got some sitting here for my es-1 build but haven’t got around to it, Cheers for the inspiration 👍🏻
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    That does look a little bit special. I’ve never seen paua against maple before, nice.
    Thanks guys, I'm liking the dots as well. Looking forward to seeing what they look like when the neck is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    Just catching up on some threads and sympathise with the challenges you have faced. None of my builds have gone to plan and quite often ended up with something totally different to what I had in mind.
    In the end they are only perfect for a short while and once you start playing them they develop dings and scratches anyway. Don't beat yourself up too much as whilst we all strive for perfection by aiming for something that looks good, how it plays and sounds will be far more important in the long run.
    Cheers, Waz

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Cheers Waz. I'm actually not bothered about them accruing dings and scratches once it starts being used. Just hoping for a nice finish to begin with to be really happy. I'm trying to see the positive side, which is that this has given me heaps of finishing practice (and hopefully skills) which I'll need to do a nice job on my scratch build stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    I remember a black and white shot of Townsend at the repairers with the caption 'What have I done?'
    So there was some salvaging going on.

As for Tru-Oil on the neck, I'm not keen on that route. Lots of problems collecting dirt and dust.
    Also easy to mark up while using the fret protectors in the buffing.
    Wears quite quick too. Far better to seal it with a couple of layer of laquer set really hard.

cheers, Mark.
    Yep I'm much happier with the plan to spray lacquer. I'm planning to go with amber tinted nitro.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast