Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Woltz's TLA-1Q

That looks the goods. Would definitely speak to me if I was in a music shop looking for ways to part with my hard-earned.

Nice deep red you got there Woltz, great Work!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Axe View Post
    That looks the goods. Would definitely speak to me if I was in a music shop looking for ways to part with my hard-earned.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Nice deep red you got there Woltz, great Work!
    Cheers G-Axe and Franken. I'm not having a lot of success with the hand polishing, so I might go and pick up a cheap machine polisher from the green shed to help out and then finish by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Couldn't resist a mock up of the body.

Still a lot of polishing to do (including removing some of my swirls from pressing a little too hard...oops) and some slight work on the pickguard. There are two chips on the body, one on the edge of the bridge pickup cavity and the other on the edge of the neck cavity. Fortunately they'll both by covered when everything is assembled so I won't bother trying to do anything with them.
    Hi mate can i ask why did you buy a quilted maple and painted it red you could have saved yourself money by buying a stock body tele

Here's an older post, Phrozin:
    Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Well it appears that the veneer wasn't meant to be. Unfortunately even though I was very careful with sanding back the clear coat I sanded through the veneer.

So gone with the veneer altogether to reveal the ash body underneath.

I am disappointed because the quilt looked fantastic but it's my first build and I'll learn from this. Anyway, onward now and need to decide what to do from here. I've also noticed this morning some fine cracks in the nitro clear on the back and near the neck pocket which I wasn't going to worry about but now I might address it depending on the route that I take.
    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#4 - Zero Budget
    #3 - Semi-Scratch Baritone w. PBG 30" Tele neck
    #2 - EX-1
    #1 - ST-1M

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by phrozin View Post
    Hi mate can i ask why did you buy a quilted maple and painted it red you could have saved yourself money by buying a stock body tele
    Hi Phrozin,

As G-Axe has alluded to, my disappointments and the story that led to this guitar being red is documented in this thread as a painful reminder of what could've been.

Mentor
    Well another facepalm moment. I must stop working on the guitar when I'm tired.

I was looking closely at the neck, in particular the fretboard and realised the truoil had picked up a heap of dust n rubbish next to the frets when I had applied it previously.

I thought no worries I'll just give the fretboard a bit of a buff and it'll clean it up ok. Then came the D'oh moment. The buffing picked up some material from the frets and dirtied the fretboard, embedding fine material into it. So I've started trying to clean it up by carefully sanding the fretboard between each of the frets. Here is an example of it material still left in the fretboard after I've sanded a bit.

At that point I made the decision that I'm done with the tru-oil, I'm not happy with the finish. It's getting sanded off...

and I'll order a tinted clear aerosol and spray the whole neck with that.

Nice work mate. The red looks brilliant.

Mentor
    I swear this guitar is cursed.

At this point I'm thinking of canning it and putting the neck and all the upgraded parts I've bought into the semi-scratch build.

Dang, was that a drop?
    Was the fret funk from doing fret work prior to applying the Tru oil? Or just naturally accrued

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast