Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stiryx's First Build, ES-1L

Stiryx's First Build, ES-1L

Hi all,

First ever PBG build (or any for that matter)! Have already run into a few issues, hoping to get some help from the kind people in this forum with their wealth of knowledge.

Running with stock electronics at the moment, if I feel everything is going well at the end I may upgrade to known quality components (thornbuckers etc), but only if it's worth it.

Pictures are all taken with my iphone 6s. I am definitely not a photographer...

First problem enountered. Unfortunately it seems that someone in the factory forgot to clean their gloves and marked blue paint/dye all over the maple veneer on the body (pictured). I originally planned to use butterscotch dingotone but had to return it after seeing these marks. I'm now spraying it an off white colour (PPG acrylic lacquer) so unforuntely don't get to see the nice flame maple pattern.

Last edited by Stiryx; 28-08-2018 at 05:31 AM.

Second problem encountered. Checking the neck fit, rough action guide etc and measured the scale. Seems that Its the same distance from fret side of the nut to middle 12th fret, to middle 12th fret to the very, very front of the bridge. As in screwed forward as far as it can go and its still half a mm longer, and thats measuring to the shorter side. I realise that the bridge to 12th fret should be a bit longer, but i think its off by a mm or 2. Any thoughts?

- bridge pushed forwards as far as it can go

- bridge to 12th fret (313mm)

- 12th fret to nut (312.5mm)
    Last edited by Stiryx; 28-08-2018 at 05:36 AM.

Third problem encountered. Seems that my truss rod is sticking too far out of the slot. Cant place the nut on flat because the middle hits the truss rod. I remember when I first checked the neck the rod was lose and could slide out, now it can't be budged. Might have to try push it in somehow?

Last edited by Stiryx; 28-08-2018 at 05:37 AM.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I would just notch out the bottom of the nut like some fenders have to give some clearance.

With the scale length, can you move the neck a mm or two further into the pocket if that's worrying you? Really the only string likely to be the stated scale length is the high e, and all others will need to be slightly longer for good intonation. Bugger about the finger prints on the quilt.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Mentor
    Stiryx before you cover up the Veneer, is it definitely dye/paint? I've seen a number of guys on here saying that a bit of glue has shown through at times because the Veneer is so thin. Might be worth trying to clean it up? Can't remember what product others have used. Think it's called Goof Off.

I was thinking that, its just that I remember the truss rod literally slipping out when i first looked at the neck. Wasn't sure if it was going to give me problems later down the track.

Unfortunately I have already sanded the neck joint back as far as I'm willing to give me more room, the further you go in the looser the join gets and its already not real tight. I don't see the point in building a guitar that isn't going to tune properly, I'm thinking I may need to dowel and redrill the bridge holes. Has anyone ever had this problem with a PBG guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Stiryx before you cover up the Veneer, is it definitely dye/paint? I've seen a number of guys on here saying that a bit of glue has shown through at times because the Veneer is so thin. Might be worth trying to clean it up? Can't remember what product others have used. Think it's called Goof Off.
    It's definitely paint unfortunately, I emailed Adam and he was kind enough to confirm this and offer me a 10% refund because of the deformity and having to change my plans.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiryx View Post
    It's definitely paint unfortunately, I emailed Adam and he was kind enough to confirm this and offer me a 10% refund because of the deformity and having to change my plans.
    Ah that's a shame. You could try bleaching, I've seen some stuff on the internet about that and from what I understand it shouldn't really discolour the wood but full disclosure I've never bleached wood myself so I'm not sure what the outcome would be. If you do attempt that I'd use a self neutralising product to minimise the chance of issues with compatibility with other products.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Rather than measuring nut to 12th and 12th to bridge - what is the overall measurement from nut to bridge?

I'm yet to see a kit that has the wrong scale length, but that doesn't mean it isn't out. Can you also show a pic looking straight on with the neck in the pocket just to confirm that's all correct? From time to time there is a necessity to use a small shim to get the neck fit tight.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast