Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bass String Top Ferrules?

Bass String Top Ferrules?

So I’m building a kit that has the G***** 3 point bridge that allows for a string-thru application. Instead of anchoring at the back of the bridge I want to go ST.

Obviously, for this I need string ferrules. Now the issue is that I can’t find top ferrules for this. I can find plenty of bottoms, and tops for guitar. For bass...nothing. Most basses that are ST just go right through the bridge and eliminate the need for top ferrules. But I’ve seen ST applications on RD’s so I know such a thing exists. Any ideas where I can find top ferrules? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    Way too skinny, even for a regular set. I play a 135 on my E string.

Before you go down that path makes sure your brand of strings are long enough to cope with the extra distance. Some builders have had issues with this.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    Before you go down that path makes sure your brand of strings are long enough to cope with the extra distance. Some builders have had issues with this.
    Good call. I think I’ll be alright because it’s 2x2 on the headstock.

Still worth checking as often the E strings are shorter.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

It's less the overall length of string (which is normally fine), as the length of the fully-wound section of the string. There's always a clash of interest on bass strings between making the fully-wound section long enough so that it goes over the nut before thinning down, to making the fully-wound section too long so that it starts to wrap around the string post (which isn't good for the string or tuning stability). It's especially tricky for bottom E strings (or the B if it's a 5/6 string) as there's often only a 3cm gap between the nut and the string post.

It's often a question of trying out different makes, as they rarely give full technical details of wound string length on the websites. An extra 1cm or more of extra string length as it runs through the body can make all the difference between a set of strings sitting properly or with the taped/bound part running over the nut. And it's often down to the set you buy as to how long that fully-wound section is. I've bought sets in the past where the fully-wound length varies significantly from string to string.

If you can get them, I'd suggest trying Peavey Cirrus XL strings, as they are (supposedly) for 35" scale length basses. On my rear-strung Peavey Cirrus bass (supposedly 35" scale length but I measured it at 34"), there's a good 2cm of fully-wound string on the bottom E running-on past the nut.

I've seen topside mounting bass ferrules on eBay from China, but with very little description and a long delivery time. Maybe you could make your own simple brass plate (or even painted steel), with 4 holes in it for the strings and a couple for fixing screws?

I seriously can’t find these things anywhere. Crazy idea: can I just put bottom ferrules on each side?

You can do. But look for ones that are relatively short compared to the width and use ones that are longer in length compared to the width. Something like these Gotoh TLB-1 ferrules are fairly compact. https://g-gotoh.com/international/product/tlb-1.html

But you could get a set of guitar ferrules and drill out the hole in the bottom to fit a bass string. They'd be smaller and neater than a wider bass ferrule (which needs to take the ball-end as well as the string). You only need to get the top ferrules to take the strings through.

I would never join a club that would have a member like me.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast