Thread: Newby!!

Newby!!

Hey everybody! Longtime lurker from Portland, OR, USA. I’ve been looking for a teardrop kit for quite sometime. Low and behold Pitbull finally put one out. I’m looking into purchasing one for my first build. So many options. I have a few questions, though.

How are the pickups that typically come with the kits? I’ve heard some demonstrations, but builders seem to be split. Should I invest in some aftermarket pickups?

I’m thinking about doing a weathered stain on the piece. What are some of your favorite stains? I’m thinking a little darker.

Also, if you have any advice you’d wished somebody told you prior to your first build, I’d be Hppy to hear it!

Thank you so much and I’m looking forward to joining the community!

Hi Julian, welcome to the forum!

my 2 cents worth on the pickups.

I’d probably be tempted to get the kit in, build it with the stock gear and see how it plays to your ears. If it isn’t doing it for you then you can upgrade or modify.
    Just restating, there is not much wrong with the kit pickups, but they are built to a price and nothing more. If you are chasing mystical Hendrix tone or Dimebag growl, then you might want to look at something up spec.
    I have 3 builds running kit pickups and they sound fine, but I’ve also 2 others running SD (Black Winters) and EMG (ZW Set) and they are starkly different (the Black Winters cost more than the guitar they are in, but they SCREAM) comes down to what you are looking for in sound and how much you want to pay for that. it’s all a bit “Ear of the beholder” really.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Welcome Julian.

Personally I think there are cheaper but more necessary upgrades. Namely the screws that come for the tuning machines must be replaced as they are prone to snapping when being screwed in. The second change will solve this problem as well, as upgrading the tuning machines is highly recommended. The pickups aren’t that bad and can always be upgraded later.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck