Thread: Newby just finished an RC12...well he thought he had!

Newby just finished an RC12...well he thought he had!

Hi all. Thought I'd have a go at building a 12 string electric as I have always wanted one for my collection. Probably not the best choice for a beginner, but hey, it's done now. Well not quite. Really took my time getting it right, lots of doing things for the first time, sanding, grain filling, spraying, rubbing down, all that stuff. It's not the best finish in the world but it's presentable enough for a first effort. Your wiring videos are great, got it all wired up and working first time. Strung up ok, tuned it, played it, well tried to play it, action far too high. OK leave it till the morning. Next morning, completely out of tune, and the neck is pulling itself out of it's pocket. Had plenty of glue in it and left it clamped for three days. I'm presuming this isn't a normal occurrence, however, my plan is to remove and start again, this time adding three solid screws to ensure it remains in place......thoughts anyone?

#1 RCM-12
    Last edited by daves6guitars; 27-07-2018 at 02:43 AM.

What kind of glue did you use?

We need a bit more info for an accurate diagnosis, it could be a number of things or a combination of more than one. Glue type and/or age, over sanding of the pocket and/or neck heel, stain or finish on the heel and/or pocket, finger grease or other contaminants inhibiting adhesion, clamped too tightly and squeezed out too much glue, uneven pocket or heel, temperature and humidity when glueing, movement while setting etc. More info and pics may help sorting it out and determining the cause.
    Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe3334 View Post
    What kind of glue did you use?
    I used the glue supplied with the kit

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    We need a bit more info for an accurate diagnosis, it could be a number of things or a combination of more than one. Glue type and/or age, over sanding of the pocket and/or neck heel, stain or finish on the heel and/or pocket, finger grease or other contaminants inhibiting adhesion, clamped too tightly and squeezed out too much glue, uneven pocket or heel, temperature and humidity when glueing, movement while setting etc. More info and pics may help sorting it out and determining the cause.
    I used the glue supplied with the kit, didn't sand the neck pocket at all, the heel and the pocket were well masked. Cant guarantee my fingers didn't touch the bare wood. However, it was clamped up tight and had to remove a fair bit of excess glue. Left at room temperature for three days. I'll probably be able to tell better when I remove the neck again.

I am wondering, you said glue mushed out. I think you used to much glue and it did not dry completely. Try a thin but good coating on pocket and neck, let it tack up 5 to 10 mins. Then insert and clamp up. I wipe any surface with alcohol and let it dry 1 hour before adding Tightbond brand wood glue.