Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rich's AGJM-1 Build

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    Grain filler mix look rather watery? If it all sands off maybe reapply it a bit stiffer consistency and use an old credit card as a squeegee to really squeeze it into the pores.
    I watched a few videos where they recommended making a slurry with water and brushing it on. It did fill the grain but not 100% on one application. The old bog applicator way definitely works better.

I didn't achieve as much as i would have liked to this week. I had way too much actual work to do instead

Started to mock up a slightly modified pickguard, I also wanted a 3 ply one and the kit only has a single ply.

Trial fitting the upgraded Grovers. Had to ream the holes out a bit.

I couldn't resist getting some paint on it to see how it will look.

Some Black N/c

My new pick up arrived. 21.5K of all out noise.

I'm glad i test fitted it. Its slightly wider so i had to open up the cavity slightly.

PS: Sorry for the giant pics

Overlord of Music
    21.5k? Whaaat? That is absolutely insane!
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Quote Originally Posted by pablopepper View Post
    DANG!

I thought the Black Winters were gnarly at 16.6. Good God Man, you’ll be Killed!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Haha If I’m not thrown across the room ala back to the future I’m going to be disappointed

But in all seriousness I really have no idea how it’s going to sound. It’ll definitely be different to any of my other guitars though

The step up from the HBs I’d been used to to the Black winters was massive, power output was immense. I so want you to do a video demo of this weapon when it’s done.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Well not much to update for the last 2 weeks. Just been too snowed under at work to achieve anything.

Got the pick up cavity opened up a bit more to fit the slightly wider p90

Also trialled the painted binding on the neck.

I'll need to do fret work before i do it more permanently. Still 50/50 on if i should even do it at all. This was more an experiment for future builds.

So after a lot of thinking and reading I decided I wanted to glue the neck before I apply the finish. I want the seams around the neck pocket the be smoothed and I don't really trust myself to not make a massive mess with the glue.

I also found out that a chamois container makes a great make shift neck rest.

Some more new bits from realparts

I've bought both 250K and 500K CTS pots as I'm still not 100% which will work best with this pick up.

Replacement Tusq nut. I've used these on a few guitars and they've been pretty easy to get set up.

I went out this morning to the paint shop to finally mix my paint ( i want to make more of an aged Pelham blue) but unfortunately they were closed.

In other news i've bought another kit and I'm really fighting the urge to play with that one but I've told myself i need to finish this one first.

Quote Originally Posted by pablopepper View Post
    It's wound with 45 AWG wire, so thinner than the more common 42 AWG wire most used for pickups (especially P90s). It's that combination of thinner wire and more turns (which requires the thinner wire) that gives it such a high DCR resistance.

That's why you can't always go by the DCR resistance alone as a true measure of output. It's certainly going to be powerful, but not as much as you would think from that figure.

Resistance values per 1000 ft (AWG is American Wire Gauge so uses Imperial units)

42 AWG = 1659 Ohms/1000 ft

45 AWG = 3348 ohms/1000 ft

So 45 AWG has just over twice the resistance per unit length of 42 AWG wire. So you'd expect the output to be closer to that of a 10.5k single coil pickup wound in 42 AWG.

A typical bridge P90 wound with 42 AWG wire has around an 8k DCR, so the 'Pig 90 is going to have around 20% more output than a standard bridge P90 (both use Alnico V magnets). It's also going to have a lower resonant peak due to higher inductance, so will be more mid-sounding with a bit less treble than a normal P90.

Less good for clean sounds, but if you are going for that pickup, then I doubt country twang is its intended use.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    It's wound with 45 AWG wire, so thinner than the more common 42 AWG wire most used for pickups (especially P90s). It's that combination of thinner wire and more turns (which requires the thinner wire) that gives it such a high DCR resistance.

That's why you can't always go by the DCR resistance alone as a true measure of output. It's certainly going to be powerful, but not as much as you would think from that figure.

Resistance values per 1000 ft (AWG is American Wire Gauge so uses Imperial units)

42 AWG = 1659 Ohms/1000 ft

45 AWG = 3348 ohms/1000 ft

So 45 AWG has just over twice the resistance per unit length of 42 AWG wire. So you'd expect the output to be closer to that of a 10.5k single coil pickup wound in 42 AWG.

A typical bridge P90 wound with 42 AWG wire has around an 8k DCR, so the 'Pig 90 is going to have around 20% more output than a standard bridge P90 (both use Alnico V magnets). It's also going to have a lower resonant peak due to higher inductance, so will be more mid-sounding with a bit less treble than a normal P90.

Less good for clean sounds, but if you are going for that pickup, then I doubt country twang is its intended use.
    Thanks for the explanation Simon. Definitely not intending it for country twang lol

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast