Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Rich's AGJM-1 Build

I haven't been around for a while here and started to check some new builds. Yours is a killer! That gloss is fantastic. I'll be following this thread!
    Nr 1: Red Widow LP-1MQ (Finished) ->Diary<-

Quote Originally Posted by Kick View Post
    I haven't been around for a while here and started to check some new builds. Yours is a killer! That gloss is fantastic. I'll be following this thread!
    Thanks mate

So a little while between updates. Work has been busy again and waiting for little bits and pieces to turn up.

So i thought all was going quite well. After i finished the polishing stage i figured i'll do the fret work now.

I used the 3 corner file to re-crown and then used some Crimson Guitars fret rubbers to polish them. I think next time i take the strings off i'll use the dremel to polish them more. I've noticed a few scratches that i missed.

Looks fantastic!

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I use the dremel all the time for polishing frets, I bought a couple of the fret protectors, which makes it a cinch and saves a heap of mucking around with masking tape.

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...ctors-2-piece/
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

So this is the point where i realise I've made a slight but fairly critical boo boo a month or two earlier. When i glued the neck I didn't use any builders string or similar to check the alignment of the neck. I figured the pocket was snug and it'd be in the right spot regardless. I guess thats the whole point of doing these kits is to learn about building guitars.

Unfortunately it wasn't straight, It was pointing a few degrees towards the treble.

I spent the following weekend after that picture was taken thinking through all the possible solutions to this. I figured i'd need to pull the neck off for sure which would most likely require me to paint it all again. This really bummed me out as i'd put a lot of time into that finish. Then I had another idea, Why not move the bridge? Way less destructive (and scary) so I went for it. I plugged up the factory holes with some dowel and started marking out where my new holes would go. Unfortunately I didn't really take any pics of this stage. At this point I was thinking this was firewood. I'd already ordered this new tailpiece and it needed different sized and deeper holes anyway.

It actually worked out really well as the new tailpiece was a fair bit wider than the kit one so it actually hides my plugged bridge holes and more importantly my strings are all where they need to be.

At this point drilling holes in my guitar is way less frightening so I drilled a few more and added a vibrola. I'll be honest, This was mainly for aesthetics but it actually works quite well. I haven't really noticed any tuning issues that are generally associated with these either. (Strings not attached when pic was taken)

Also fitted the Truss rod cover

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    Looks fantastic!
    Thanks mate

Sonic: Those are on my list of things i need to buy next time I'm ordering something.

Time to fit the control cavity cover.

I've noticed that on some high end guitar's they use little brass inserts in the wood instead of screwing directly into it. This is way overkill on this guitar but i imagine it would be handy for people running active electronics and have to change batteries. I ended up getting like 50 from eBay for $8.50 so they'll probably get some use on future builds too.

Some stainless M3 5MM screws

Where I'm up to now:

What's left to do:
    Fit strap buttons
    Buy a case
    Change the strings to a heavier gauge before final sanding of the nut. I've been playing a strat with 12's lately. 10's on this feel loose haha

What a wonderful save! Well done, it would have been tempting to give up when you realised the neck was off line

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Great save and terrific result. That is really what this is all about. There is nothing that can't be fixed if you are prepared to have a go.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast