Thread: Derek82's GTL-1

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Derek82's GTL-1

I ordered my GTL-1 with maple fretboard on Sunday. I'm busting to get that box in front of me and crack it open.

My plans:
    Clear neutral (or close to clear aka slightly amber tone) glassy or just shiny finish. Dingotone colourless, wipe on poly or tru-oil are the contenders for me. For sealer, I need to do more research, but I know poly and tru-oil can be used to seal (albeit with several additional coats). Grain filler, probably aquacoat (clear) or timbermate (unsure of exact colour yet).

Mods wise, I've ordered the locking rotomatics. In time I may change the pick guard, but I'm actually unsure of the colour I'll be getting as Adam was out of chrome GTL hardware kits that the plate comes with. I hope I get a black one!

I plan to replace pickups eventually with the tonerider vintage plus set. Wiring, treble bleed, 4 way switch etc are things I like to do as well, but I'd like to fluff around with the default wiring and hardware if I can before doing any upgrades. Bridge, I'm thinking string through body, but it would be great to get a bridge that I can do both with.

Belly and arm contours will be done because this kit weighs a tonne and I love the strat body feel more than the tele! I have to admit though, to being a bit of a fan of the Tele ice-pick sound. I have a bad back right now so I need to take some of the mass off it. I will probably route out some of the back to get rid of addition weight if I'm able and maybe cover the cavity with some sort of veneer... It's pretty ambitious, but it's nice to dream!

I'll post again with pics when I get the kit.

I better read up on the Pit Bull guitar kit manual too!

Those are my plans. Stay tuned to see them all fall apart over the next three years while I finish it. LOL!

Cheers,

Derek.
    Last edited by Derek82; 03-07-2018 at 02:59 PM. Reason: word errors