Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: IB-1Q Screamin Demon Dragon - build #8

Well, after consulting my local luthier at Rock Repairs I took Tony's (VH2850) suggestion/advice and got a replacement Switchcraft socket. Actually I got 2, the one Tony linked and another that is Black and I thought would fit. Which ever I use forces the other into my ever growing spares box...

The Black one is the best fit yet it's still a little too snug on the lip for my liking, but it fits better than any other option. To be honest it is the only one that will fit in the hole. I suspect there could be some touch up repairs to the finish in the hole after I fit the socket at the wiring stage.

Another just discovered aspect is there is no way of putting the nut on the socket once it is in. The socket may be some 40mm long but the hole is close to 55mm deep, so some serious mining is needed in the control cavity to expose some socket thread so I can put a nut on it... Don't want to be trying to pull the lead to the amp out and have the whole socket and internal wiring of the guitar come out with it....

Yes, it’s a problem with the layout on these I think Marcel. The orphan kit I got from Tony was the same and I routed and chiseled out probably 25mm out of it to get the deep socket jack seated properly. You’ve also got to try and set that cavity wall at an angle to get the nut perpendicular to the centerline of the jack else you’ll never get it tight.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I did one of these kits about a year ago the jack plug I just run a tap down the hole and just screwed it in, a couple of things to keep in mind the holes where the neck screws go don't get to much finish in the hole or it will break a bit of the wood off if you try take the neck washers out, I ever so lightly I increased the holes to allowing the finish to have room for the washers, I also had a bit of a problem with the screw plugs for the floyd mount goes try keep the holes clean as when you hamer the Bushes in it can split the wood, all in all marcel its probably the best kit PB sell I love mine even the stock pops sound not to shabby be keeping an eye on this build you'll be pretty happy with it

Thanks for the tips guys...

Of all my builds this one seems to be the most problematic (mostly all in the control cavity) and slowest to progress yet potentially offers the highest rewards. I have nil other HSH guitars and the Dimarzio IBZ I have for this build are both 4 wire so wiring options go through the roof... On most builds in the past after sorting out a colour and finish everything simply bolted together, not so with this one. So it's careful planning time and calculated approaches to 'issues'... And add to that my daughter and her husband both have a thing for Dragons so they are both in my ear over every detail.. and which is also nice in that they are showing an interest ...

I'll keep the neck bolts thing in mind while I dremel away in the control cavity at the back of the socket...

Got the dollar shop dremel out and started carving (the brushes worn out on my real one)... The socket fits now with plenty of room to put the nut on and a little elbow room to solder the buggar... Not the neatest job but for the moment it works and in the long run won't be seen...

Now to sort out the 5 way switch... I had planned on using a Oak Gribsby that I have for a Strat but it's too tall thus preventing the back cover to go on, so it looks like the original switch has to stay. A pair of push-pull 500k Bournes pots with the original switch will still allow me some flexibility in switchable tone choices, just need to work out a way of neatly mounting the 5 way switch as I'm none too keen on having bolts showing on the front... I might see what I can get away with using tin plate...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180723_163409_resized.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	309.3 KB 
ID:	27546  

Well.... Hasn't today been an absolute disaster... !!!

Started with one stain, not happy with the result... tried another... made the mess even worse... lost my temper and needed to vent so beat up my 4x2 hardwood bench with a 2kg hammer... felt better and tried a third time.... sorta happy so took a few photos...

Came inside to the computer to share the photos with you guys and the camera and computer decided to play games with me.... Hmmm... 5hrs later and only one photo to show for it so I know It's definitely not my day...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180727_173139b_1280x720.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	27583  

I kinda like the colour in the Center, is the patch part around the edges the “made it worse” bit? It almost looks like glue wipe?!
    FrankenLab

Initially it was a pale Brown that ultimately took on a disappointing dirty blonde look... I played around with another shade of Brown that simply failed. In the end in disgust I dug out the Black and I was trying for a 'blonde' to Black burst... Actually due to my barely settled temper the Black went everywhere, on the front, the back, on me, in all the wrong spots on the neck.... Simply not my day !!!

What you see is raw dried stain...The greyish 'glue wipe' on the edge is a thick layer of dried Black stain... When the clear goes on it should hopefully pop a lot better. Despite my 'angry moment' and other considerations I figured It looked pretty awesome when it was still wet...

There is nil noticeable glue spots now, though they did initiate the tantrum. There were about half a dozen of them in various places, plus a huge line about 5mm in around most of the lower bout. The line is now covered in Black, and after much work 95% of the spots are gone.

Hopefully I've left enough 'Blonde' to not hide all the Black hardware than is destined for it...

Ahhh I see. Lesson for all, Don’t Luthier Angry! Despite the travails I quite like the effect, I look forward to seeing how it comes up under clear
    FrankenLab

Hopefully the worst is behind you. The centre of the top is looking fantastic.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast