Thread: HBB-5: Wrong scale length?

HBB-5: Wrong scale length?

Hi all!

I have just finished constructing the HBB-5, and noticed normal long-scale strings don't fit it. I got some super long scale D'Addarios and they still don't fit. And the bridge seems too narrow, as if it isn't made for a five string bass.

Is there something wrong with the kit or did I make a mistake? Any help will be appreciated.

Pics:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...wkllOLLwJ9uHum

I think it's a matter of finding the right strings that will fit. The thru-body stringing, coupled with quite a high bridge position means that you need strings with a very long fully-wound string section. That differs quite a lot from string make to string make, and a lot of the time they aren't as long, or are longer than any specs say. I had a lot of trouble finding strings that were just long enough for one of my basses so that the bottom E tuner didn't have any of the fully-wound section round it, yet that part still went over the nut.

There have been a couple of other HHB-5 builds recently, and they ended up OK, so I'd have a look round for those.

Do you know in which section of the forums should I look? The keyword "HBB-5" gives no results.

In the My Build Diary section:

First build on the way! HBB-5 semi hollow bass
    Qolabear’s HBB-5 bass build
    The HBB-5 Build

First ones I could find, but it's still a relatively new kit.
    Scott.

Thank you.

So far they all ran into the same problem. I hope there is a solution too. Will update.

Unfortunately no standard forum search engine seems to work with the short names required to search for PBG models.

I just looked closer at your string pictures and I can see what you mean better now. I DM’ed you and suggested the DR BKB6-30 set that I put on mine, but I looked closer at my pictures and can see only the A string is just a tad short (mine is E-C) but still plays well and frankly I didn’t even notice this. I think it’ll be tricky to find something longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how deep the rear string ferrules are, but one option might be to get longer ferrules and drill the body out a bit deeper to fit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Qolabear View Post
    I just looked closer at your string pictures and I can see what you mean better now. I DM’ed you and suggested the DR BKB6-30 set that I put on mine, but I looked closer at my pictures and can see only the A string is just a tad short (mine is E-C) but still plays well and frankly I didn’t even notice this. I think it’ll be tricky to find something longer.

Here’s a better angle...

E, A, and D are a little short. Still playable though...