Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blackwood Tec fingerboards

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Pretty sure the 'unsecure' note is because it's such an old forum format.

I have only had a very limited exposure to the Blackwood Tek - it was on an RCM kit that I never went ahead with. I have to say that it didn't seem very nice. It's was flaky and just looked fake, combined with other peoples experiences I'm kinda glad I didn't mess around with it. I was just going to seal it anyway. I'll be sticking with maple and staining if required.

On the topic of synthetic timber boards, my Hagstrom uses one - a product they call 'Resinator'. It's really really good to play on, fantastic feel, very smooth and looks great. So it's absolutely possible to do it well, I guess the PBG suppliers haven't quite worked out the best recipe for it yet.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Hi guys, it is three years after the last post on Blackwood. I just ordered a kit that most likely will have one, kit: sccm1q.

I was unaware of this issue. Can anyone tell me if the supplied Blackwood fingerboard of the kits have improved?

Cheers

No, is the simple answer.

Not all of them have flakey fibres. Some of them have been trouble-free. Quite a chance of having issues though.

The CITES changes means that proper rosewood boards should be the norm again, so there’s no need to pick an engineered board. In some instances it may be that the kit description hasn’t been fully updated. I’ve seen one current one for the DMS-1 where the description offers maple or rosewood boards and the body material has changed to mahogany, not ash as the picture shows, but the options tick list still lists blackwood, not rosewood.

You’d really have to email PBG for confirmation.

Thank you for your prompt reply Simon, will do and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    the body material has changed to mahogany, not ash as the picture shows,
    I wouldn't count on that. My YB-4 I custom orderd with a Mahogany body. Meranti is *not* Mahogany! I think you have to take the materials listing with a pinch of salt

Unless they give the exact wood species and ideally the Latin name for it, you are always open to the wide variety of timber types that make up the generic families of woods used in guitar construction, and local wood marketing descriptions can further lead to misunderstandings.

Meranti isn't mahogany, but it's closer to mahogany in looks and properties than say ash or maple. There are also several varieties of meranti, and dark red meranti is often sold as 'Philippines mahogany', which leads people astray if they don't check further.

Mahoganys, near-mahoganys and pseudo-mahoganys covered here: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...s-the-lowdown/

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRolf View Post
    Hi guys, it is three years after the last post on Blackwood. I just ordered a kit that most likely will have one, kit: sccm1q.
    I can't find a kit with that reference. Did you mean this one, DSCM-1Q? https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...-maple-veneer/

That's listed as having a blackwood fretboard.

There may be the option of going custom and getting a rosewood fretboard fitted, though that will obviously add a delay.

Yes Simon it is the DSCM-1Q, the name was changed sometime last year.

I had ordered a custom kit in December (since I am a lefty). Before ordering, I read into the different fretboards. People were not unhappy about the blackwood fretboards for as far as I read (this was not from kit guitars), and neither did I read any complaints going through the single cut build dairy's. So I thought, I wouldn't mind any fretboard in particular, as I didn't know more about them.

As suggested, I have asked Pitbull regarding my kit and you were right, the wording on the website was wrong. The kit has a rosewood fretboard and they have changed the website. Ben said "The only kits our factories are making with blackwood fretboards at the moment are the 5 and 6-string bass kits."

I couldn't be more happy with this after reading this thread. So I guess, thanks for creating this thread and your response to someone's question last week that triggered me to search for more info on the blackwood.

@RnR - I got to this thread late so when I checked the listing of the DSCM-1Q, it specified rosewood and had me scratching my head...

You're backstory there explains it all! And yes, a good result!

Now get building!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    @RnR - I got to this thread late so when I checked the listing of the DSCM-1Q, it specified rosewood and had me scratching my head...

You're backstory there explains it all! And yes, a good result!

Now get building!
    Sorry for the confusion, I decided to hold off on replying till I had more info from pitbull.

"Now get building!" - more planning actually, the kit isn't expected until March, Exciting!!
    Have got the Tonerider AC2's ready to go, ordering dyes this week, and have to do some more research on poly finishes.

Thanks again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast