Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Christodav's JTL-1 Offset tel

Quote Originally Posted by christodav View Post
    So I got me some tools. Laid the measuring stick on the fretboard and tightened the trussrod until there were no more gaps. Now pretty much no notes can be played except the open strings until around the the 7th fret. I'll let it settle for a while and then back it off a bit until it's right. It most likely has a slight backbow. So now I will have to route out the pocket. *sigh*

Chris
    See how it settles, but mate...if I can do it, anyone can. Trust me. I was stressing balls about that part, but careful planning and steady as she goes wins the race. You will be fine

Wow. After feeling sick routing out the pocket this morning, wondering whether I had done the right thing, I just strung it up and it worked! I now have plenty of height adjustment either way. I took maybe 2mm off - if that. I noticed that the angle on the bottom of the pocket is kinda wrong as well, but it seems that I can deal with that now It is better than it was. (Mr Baker, I don't think the pocket on mine was as bad as yours, but it still wasn't cur deep enough all the same.
    Yesterday I straightened the neck and attempted to sand the frets which went okay but the fret crowning file sucks and I don't have great frets right now, but they work LOL. Without setting them correctly yet, I can no play every note on the fretboard.

Something I hadn't talked about is the ferrules - they suck as I tried installing them without much care. So I ordered a "tone block" from Euroa Guitars here in country Victoria and it should arrive tomorrow. He is sending a router bit and a template with it, so I should get this nice and neat.

Now the final major problem. After digging into the neck pocket, I am unable to stick the pickguard under the fretboard.
    I am hoping that I can sand a little under the end of the fretboard just enough for it to clear. Fingers crossed.

Chris

UPDATE:

It's all back together and is quite playable. I have fitted the toneblock from Euroa Guitars and I had to cut the pickguard around the edge of the neck as it would no longer fit underneath the end of the neck after routing the neck pocket. I now have plenty of string height adjustment at the bridge.
    I am waiting for a set of string trees to arrive hopefully tomorrow and then I can continue to set the guitar up. Apart from fiddling with a couple of scratches I made when fitting the bridge a long while ago and working out some sort of headstock logo, it's pretty much complete.

Pictures to come later in the week.

Chris

Okay, let's call it done.

I still have a set-up to complete, but it plays and sounds come out. There are a few scratches to repair that I made but I can fix them.
    Thanks to everyone on this website who helped me along the way. I hope you like it and gain some inspiration for your next build.

Chris

5. Liked by: Cliff Rogers

Well done mate. Hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it. Awesome grain flame on the back of the neck too

7. Liked by: christodav

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11