Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Fender neck on a Gibson set neck body

You will see the top ones more than the bottom ones, so mark up and drill the pilot holes for those first - the end ones (E and G strings) all the way through, the A and D ones partway. Then draw a line between the two rear holes and measure off where the A and D string ferrules should sit. Then drill the pilot holes for those from the back partway through as well.

Drilling vertically is key here.

The holes should hopefully at least meet partway through in the middle, and the hole can be opened up a bit if necessary so you can fit a string through. This should leave you with two neat lines of ferrules (even if the rear line might be slightly off from the ideal line, it looks better if the ferrules are all in a neat line).

2. Liked by: fender3x

Sounds like a plan. Working up my nerve ;-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Put the neck on. Still needs a bit of work on the pocket, but overall seems to be working.

Notice my super scientific string method for testing alignment... Since I'll be re-drilling for the bridge, the trick was getting the neck to line up as best possible over the pup routs. The bridge is in ~the right position...and the next thing will be to drill there... Still working on nerve...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181031_100538__01-519x1463.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	28867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181031_100633__01-519x1429.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	28868

Not a great pic, but it's beginning to look like a bass. I need to cut a nut and do a setup to see if I have the neck shimmed right. It's close but I won't be sure until I adjust the truss rod. Between the neck angle, the neck height, and the arch it has been a b***ch.

The center block is also super narrow. And the "south" bridge post broke through just as with my ES4-B kit. Making the center block 2cm wider would solve a lot of problems. I don't even think it would add much to the weight since toe wood is so light.

I glued a piece of wood in through the f-hole (just as I did with the other kit. I think it helped, but the main saving grace is making it string-through. That way the strings push down on the bridge rather than trying to pull it out.

Not set up. Not convinced I have the neck angle right. Temporary nut. No string tree and just an old set of ancient flatwounds I had lying around. But it played it's first notes tonight. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181206_193928__01.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	29319

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6