Thread: Neck pickup issue

Neck pickup issue

Hi there,
    Just finished assembling my TL1A (telecaster style) guitar. There is a problem i am having with the neck pickup.
    It works except it will not amplify the G string. All other strings are fine and the G string works on the bridge pickup.
    Cant think of how to fix it as there is only one set of wires coming from pickup and cannot see a way of adjusting anything else.

Many ideas?

Mike

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Hmm. I take it that it is the normal lipstick style pickup? There isn't a great deal you can do that I'm aware of, someone else may know a trick...

It may just be faulty. If you send Adam (forum admin/pitbull guitars owner) an email I'm sure he will sort out a replacement for you.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Hmm. I take it that it is the normal lipstick style pickup? There isn't a great deal you can do that I'm aware of, someone else may know a trick...

It may just be faulty. If you send Adam (forum admin/pitbull guitars owner) an email I'm sure he will sort out a replacement for you.
    Yep just the regular pickup that came with the kit

Thanks

Hey Mikey,

Its doubtful that a PBG neck pup is broken such that wont work on the G string but will work on the other strings. This is because the neck pup has a ceramic bar magnet that passes along the base of all six of the steel pole pieces for the whole pup. If there was a break in the windings, the whole pup would not work. The magnetic field created by the ceramic bar magnet should encompass all of the strings, even if there was a break in one of the pole pieces (which is not likely to have occurred).

Its more likely that you have a dead G string, or its muting on the nut or the saddle for some reason.

I am happy to be corrected by a smarter individual.

If you are in Brisbane, let me know as I have a spare PBG neck pup you can use/test.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

If you bend the G high up the fretboard so it's over a different part if the pickup do you get sound? Or, is there sound if you bend the B towards the G position over the pup? Stock kit strings or others?
    Scott.

It is possible that there's no slug pole in place for that string. The ceramic pickup and the chrome cover will hide the poles from view. Without taking the chromed cover off (and it should be soldered to the ground wire so be careful), you'll never know. I'd like to blame the G string, but if the bridge pickup works with it, then it's very unlikely.

Do what Weirdy suggested, then you should know if the string sounds over another pole piece or a known working string stops being amplified. If so, then a missing (or maybe extremely short) slug piece would be the most likely cause.

Great test ideas Weirdy and SB
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Thanks all for ideas and advice. Tried the tests which pointed it to be a string issue.
    Replaced string and all appears good.
    Just weird that it was fine on bridge pickup but not neck.
    Oh well, learn something new everyday.
    Never seen that in 35 years of playing.
    Thanks again

I suspect there is some (lots of) junk metal in the mix of the offending string which just happened to be more concentrated in the section over the neck pup.
    Scott.