Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Resonator

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Looks great. Normally takes more than 18 days for my finishes to cure so you are doing well.
    Yeah got lucky with some nice warm days to dry the finish and had the first coat on within 3 days of starting, learned a few things like I should have masked the binding, there's a lot of small cracks that no amount of sanding is going to remove the stain from but I guess it gives it that vintage look, very happy with the way it plays though.

Very well done, she looks sweet!
    Interesting you had to raise the bridge, I'm thinking I'll have to cut my body lower to get the cone lower and in turn lower the bridge. Seriously lower it big time!
    Note the height of your fingerboard compared with mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reso1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	26409

Name:	20180510_193355.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	26410

Hi SingingFrog, great work , looks very nice, hows the sound? 18 Days - At that speed, one could squeeze in around 20 builds a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Guvna19 View Post
    Hi SingingFrog, great work , looks very nice, hows the sound? 18 Days - At that speed, one could squeeze in around 20 builds a year.
    Sounds very nice with or without an amp. The bridge pick up works well but as with my other resonators it's hard to get the true sound of the resonator through a pick up but playing with the balance between the neck pickup and the bridge pickup gives you plenty of options.

Quote Originally Posted by cork sniffer View Post
    Very well done, she looks sweet!
    Interesting you had to raise the bridge, I'm thinking I'll have to cut my body lower to get the cone lower and in turn lower the bridge. Seriously lower it big time!
    Note the height of your fingerboard compared with mine.

Name:	reso1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	26409

Name:	20180510_193355.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	26410
    When I set it up initially I thought the action was fine but then I screwed down the resonator cone and found the strings were touching the fret board, only just so I place a thin strip of wood under the bridge pickup, about 1.5mm and this worked perfectly. Your fret board does look a little lower. you don't seem to have much room between the resonator top plate and the end of the fret board (to fit the pickup), with mine I glued the neck in position with the pickup in place, there was about 1-1.5mm gap between the end of the neck and the back of the body socket and being a wedge shape the neck pulled in tight with the socket. This put the measurements out slightly (nut to 12 fret to bridge) but the intonation seems spot on. Remember when you screw down the resonator cone it has to be slightly angled so the lighter strings are slightly shorter.
    Last edited by Singing Frog; 07-06-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Singing Frog View Post
    When I set it up initially I thought the action was fine but then I screwed down the resonator cone and found the strings were touching the fret board, only just so I place a thin strip of wood under the pickup, about 1.5mm and this worked perfectly. Your fret board does look a little lower. you don't seem to have much room between the resonator top plate and the end of the fret board (to fit the pickup), with mine I glued the neck in position with the pickup in place, there was about 1-1.5mm gap between the end of the neck and the back of the body socket and being a wedge shape the neck pulled in tight with the socket. This put the measurements out slightly (nut to 12 fret to bridge) but the intonation seems spot on. Remember when you screw down the resonator cone it has to be slightly angled so the lighter strings are slightly shorter.
    I'll have to Google setting up a resonator (cone), you never know the strings may be the correct height once adjusted.
    "Room between the resonator top plate and the end of the fret board" is fine. Just happened to be hanging and nothing screwed down when the photo was take. To prove the wiring and pickups worked I roughly assembled and got it making approximate noises .
    Now time to disassemble and paint or Tru-Oil or whatever I decide to do :-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3