Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Mosrite MKA-2

Mosrite MKA-2

I had to respray the blue and lacquer around the complete perimeter, leave, cut back and polish. It’s not without a few flaws, somebody moved it while curing which left a few imperfections and while carrying out the last minute of polishing I caught the disc centre on it causing it to bounce right along the bottom edge. Needless to say a few naughty words filled the street. I managed to sand the worst out before re-polishing.

The bridge ground wire is in place, another awkward task and the cavity shielded.

I’m going with a pair of Warman “Dogs o’ War P90 pickups mounted under the scratch plate. I’ll cut the ears off the covers to give a couple of mm more height but I’ll also have to drill out a small section of the upper cavity for the pickup’s screw tabs.

Then I can order a white scratch plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great in the pic. Beautiful SoCal color. Where are you getting the pickguard?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    Looks great in the pic. Beautiful SoCal color. Where are you getting the pickguard?

I found a company online in here in the UK, it was about a year ago and need to check they’re still around.

Once I have I’ll post details.

Some more progress last night and this morning.

I drilled and chiselled out the pickup voids for the P90’s which was a bit daunting on a finished body but it went really well. Stuck some more shielding in but I’ve run out so can’t finish the overlap all around.

Next up solder the ground wire to the bridge post. I struggled here as the iron wasn’t hot enough soldering to a cast chunk of metal so I’ll invest in a new 40watt one for the remaining wiring.

I put the posts in, both the bridge and stops are nice and tight which was a relief and then strung it up with heavy strings.

The nut needs work as the D & G strings wont stay in the slots. I need some saw blades for this, if it doesn’t work I’ll get another brass nut.

Initial results are nice low strings even without tuning. Hopefully it can only get better.

Mosrite MKA-2

Quote Originally Posted by Mosrite Slab View Post
    Some more progress last night and this morning.

I drilled and chiselled out the pickup voids for the P90’s which was a bit daunting on a finished body but it went really well. Stuck some more shielding in but I’ve run out so can’t finish the overlap all around.

Next up solder the ground wire to the bridge post. I struggled here as the iron wasn’t hot enough soldering to a cast chunk of metal so I’ll invest in a new 40watt one for the remaining wiring.

I put the posts in, both the bridge and stops are nice and tight which was a relief and then strung it up with heavy strings.

The nut needs work as the D & G strings wont stay in the slots. I need some saw blades for this, if it doesn’t work I’ll get another brass nut.

Initial results are nice low strings even without tuning. Hopefully it can only get better.

I had a go at the nut with a coping saw and the strings now stay in, the bottom E is high though and not down on the zero fret so some more work required there.

It stayed in tune most of the night but despite the high E string, its the only one with buzz.

Also under tension the bridge is pulling forward including the posts. I had a feeling this would happen as I noticed it earlier in the build. I think the only solution here is to screw the adjusting post over the bridge holes and put washers underneath for height adjustment. It’s going to be trial and error getting it right and I’ll do it when I carry out the intonation.

Finally I will have to do something about the headstock split as under tension it does appear to have opened up a fraction.

Template for the scratch plate now drawn up ready to send.

I thought I’d give the scratch plate maker an easier time by adapting the original plate so all he has to do is replicate it in white. I know everything should fit when it comes back too.

Here’s a mock up with the p90’s taped in place. They can come up a couple of mm taking off the cover ears if required.

I’m really happy with how this is looking.

The scratchplate has been ordered and while waiting for it to arrive decided to carry out some remedial.

The crack in the headstock was longer than I thought so I glued in three barbecue stick dowels. I doubt I would have got maple ones as thin as these. If they don’t do the job I’ll have no option than to put in a narrow screw or two instead.

Also did some fret checking and found the 12th high on the bass side so did a level to it as well as filing the nut slots to get the bottom E onto the zero fret. Once it’s all put back together I can adjust the bridge and the intonation.

The crack in the headstock was longer than I thought so I glued in three barbecue stick dowels.
    Good idea. I am partial to bamboo chopsticks as dowels. Hopefully that's what your BBQ sticks are made of. Bamboo is super dense super strong.

Oh yes, I couldn’t believe how hard they are to cut/chisel. The only drawback being how difficult it was to get them flush with the surrounding surface. As well as the lack of grain to match, just small circles.

The scratchplate has been ordered and while waiting for it to arrive decided to carry out some remedial.

The crack in the headstock was longer than I thought so I glued in three barbecue stick dowels. I doubt I would have got maple ones as thin as these. If they don’t do the job I’ll have no option than to put in a narrow screw or two instead.

Also did some fret checking and found the 12th high on the bass side so did a level to it as well as filing the nut slots to get the bottom E onto the zero fret. Once it’s all put back together I can adjust the bridge and the intonation.

Damn! That’s a smart one to keep in mind.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast