Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Mosrite MKA-2

Getting close now. The white pick guard arrived and is excellent so I did the wiring on a cardboard template. I really couldn’t understand the supplied wire so bought a length of UK household stuff and followed what I’m used to, green/yellow earth, brown live (hot) and the blue here and there! I’ll get strapped together when I’m ready to mount the plate.

I really enjoyed doing the electrics for uthe first time and what a wonderful sense of relief it is when it’s plugged in and the tap test works. It also gives the opportunity of knowing which was the selector should face on the inside.

I asked the scratch plate maker to not drill out the pickup screw holes, a good decision as it gave me some wiggle room to get them parallel. Am I allowed to advertise the company?

I’m missing some washers, plain and locking. Also there’s a bit of tear out by the factory (probably OK for the supplied tuners but not the ones I’m using) on the front of the holes so I need to source a washer to hide it under the bezels.

So once I’ve got these bits and bobs it’s final assembly time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a totally tubular. Bitchin' axe, dude!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

So still diggin' that blue ! That's fabulous !
    TL-1 (just arrived)
    IB-1S
    MK-2
    RC-1

Double check the soldering of the ground wire between the volume and tone pots, especially the volume pot end. They may cause you problems later.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    Double check the soldering of the ground wire between the volume and tone pots, especially the volume pot end. They may cause you problems later.
    The one close to the edge? Will do, thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosrite Slab View Post
    The one close to the edge? Will do, thanks for the heads up.

Nearly done. Yesterday was a disaster, it sounded terrible, fret buzz everywhere and horrible muddy sound. So today I replaced the strings with regular gauge ones, temporary shimmed the nut, lowered the bridge and raised the bridge pickup poles.

Today I’m happy, my amp isn’t great Peavey Blazer 158 but after whacking it up a bit I can tell the power is there.

Time for it so settle and then I’ll do a fret check and get the intonation done. After that a final polish to the body and maybe a few more coats of oil to the neck as it’s a bit dull and sticky.

7. Liked by: thess

I’ve been on holiday and had a re-think. I raised the poles on the bridge pickup so high they were almost falling out so I bit the bullet and bought a pair of soapbars to give more height, Warman again, but their narrower profile meant a new scratch plate was needed. Gigink had it done and with me in a few days.

I didn’t want to pack out the cavities with wood for direct screwing so made some stretchers from the kit scratch plate which I’d already trashed. Boy, what a pain in the butt job trying to square them. Using springs from a biro pen I can adjust the height and once I’ve got some longer screws and glue in some nut surrounds to stop the bolts spinning I’ll sort out the correct gap between the front poles and strings.

Another mod was buying another brass nut which needed manual filing down, that took an hour of fifty strokes one way, then fifty the other to keep it even. I’ve ordered some Stewmac nut files for final adjustment to get the strings down on the zero fret.

It sounds miles better already, really rips through my new Fender 112 amp and more sustain than my Gretsch 5120.

I somehow missed this build. Looks great; love the blue
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

After a good morning doing what I think and Hope was a successful fret level, I’m now pulling my hair out in frustration!

I decide to replace the volume and tone pots as the former crackled when adjusting and the latter appeared to have packed up.

What should have been a simple replacement has left me with volume coming from both pickups despite whatever the selector was on. The harness is in an earlier post but in the end I re-did it following the Pitbull spec in the photo to no avail. It’s packed up completely now and I’ve left it in the corner while I have a sulk.

Happy to buy new selector, input and pots again.

The pots I bought are Linear, could this be the reason?

Are you in Sydney Dude ?
    TL-1 (just arrived)
    IB-1S
    MK-2
    RC-1

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast