Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: First build on the way! HBB-5 semi hollow bass

Looks killer. Nice job!

2. Liked by: ChefBrianNYC

What you do in bed with your builds is your business, we don't judge (except GOTM).
    Scott.

4. Liked by: ChefBrianNYC

Quote Originally Posted by rook View Post
    Looks killer. Nice job!
    Thank you! That means a lot coming from you! I was watching your RC 4 and you did such an amazing job congratulations! Very inspiring mate

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    What you do in bed with your builds is your business, we don't judge (except GOTM).
    I'm proud enough of this one that I just may put it up for that scrutiny (GOTM)

Quote Originally Posted by ChefBrianNYC View Post
    Thank you! That means a lot coming from you! I was watching your RC 4 and you did such an amazing job congratulations! Very inspiring mate

Thanks, man! I appreciate the kind words! Looks like we both ended up with basses we love!

I bought them at Michael's crafts store. Doing the "art" in my phone and printing them at home on the ink jet. The labels were not designed for a printer so what I do is print a proof on regular paper then carefully Scotch tape the label on top of where it printed and send the same piece of paper back through the machine again

Good to know, I really like the concept and that style of label really suits the bass as well.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

9. Liked by: ChefBrianNYC

Ok last and final step. I realize that I have done this backwards and should have wired it after but my impatience got the best of me. Also, in hindsight I may have made some mistakes with the poly that are too late to be reversed without redoing the whole thing. My initial light sanding after the first few coats was not even enough so there is a good deal of Orange peeling even though what went down on top of it was much better. Also, there is enough dust and tiny hairs to give a future archaeologist a good bit to sort through. Fitting that my DNA should be embedded in the actual finish

Some thoughts about this build while I wrap it up...

I had an entire week off work to start and I'm extremely grateful for it. I probably put at least 50 to 60 hrs that first week. The weather was perfect, in the 70's with really low humidity.

What had pictured in my head when I started is not how the bass turned out and I like this version better I think. I just went with the flow and what felt right at the time and got lucky.

I'm glad I didn't fork over big $ for upgrades yet because the stock stuff is not horrible.
    The little custom touches I've added have made the biggest difference.

$10 for the inlay stickers changed the whole bass for me...like night and day difference.

This is a big bird...10.5 lbs. I'm 6'2" and barely reach the D tuner. I would say it has has neck "dip" not necessarily "dive" The C profile is typical and comfortable and a nice 1.75" at the nut. Takes some getting used to also as the lack of shaping on the top of the body is a little rough the forearm.

I could have been more thorough with the fret leveling because I still have a little buzzing somewhere around the 15th fret. I was afraid to do too much at the time but obviously need to go back over it because otherwise the action and intonation is perfect.

Speaking of intonation the bridge is great and my worries were all for nought.

The pickups have great output and are very spacious and clear. What they lack is a nice defined tight punch. For someone who plays mostly fingerstyle this is probably a major drawback but I already have basses for that. These pickups are at their best when played with a pick..grindy and aggressive. I'm glad I wired it in stereo because having them on different amps is making a world of difference. I'm really able to dial in specific tones I'm looking for without sacrificing things like the bottom end.

Those are my thoughts for now, I'm making a demo video this weekend if all goes well it should be up by Monday ...cheers

Great feedback, especially as you were one of the first off the rack with this model I believe!
    Nice job!
    Last edited by Andyxlh; 13-05-2018 at 02:38 PM.

13. Liked by: ChefBrianNYC

Now thank your big brother for letting you borrow a string! And welcome to the family

Wow don't see too many of the Jazz Bass Specials in that colour... here's mine!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1262.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	301.6 KB 
ID:	26430

15. Liked by: ChefBrianNYC

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast