Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question time

Well, I'm back to finishing this lovely little beast. After some major arm surgery and a long lay off the tools while i regained the use of my arm, i went and bought myself a Pitbull kit to play with. But having this project started and being less than pleased with the results I figured i should keep going with this one and learn a few more things first.
    In keeping with the spirit of sharing the good the bad and the ugly, I reckon i have made almost every mistake in surface prep so far. Sanding the maple veneer initially was a major mistake. I've put scratches in the surface that i thought i'd dealt with, but the stain sure did highlight them. And then there's the scratches in the side that I can't for the life of me work out how I missed. I can only assume i have knocked it at some point while on the bench and not realised. Grrrrr.

So today it was decision time. It's either firewood, or I have a shot at finishing it and accept that the first attempt was probably never going to be perfect anyway. I've given it a few coats of sanding sealer and I'll block it down tomorrow. Ive already had three goes at the head stock. Stain looked awful, paint soaked into the wood and looked dreadful. so i sealed it, under coated it, then painted it black. and it looked like shit on a stick. SO i tripped it back and did it again. There's a few imperfections but I'm beginning to think I've found the limitations of a workshop built to work on bikes, not guitars. It's a bit cool this time of year. Its a touch dusty at times. All things i can address moving forward. Learning learning learning.

Scratches always mysteriously appear. You can't help it. Even if you encased it in layers of cotton wool after sanding it, the moment you took it out, scratches would appear. Just looking at an unfinished body can scratch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Scratches always mysteriously appear. You can't help it. Even if you encased it in layers of cotton wool after sanding it, the moment you took it out, scratches would appear. Just looking at an unfinished body can scratch it.
    I wonder if it is some form of quantum states of matter deal?
    As in, there are a multitude guitars being built in a multitude of realities.
    Scratches exist on all and none of these guitars at the same time.
    The scratch is/isn’t there unless you’ve noticed/not noticed it.
    The likelihood of the scratch being noticed becomes higher the closer towards the final finishing of the guitar.
    By being more vigilant about scratches, you increase the likelihood of the scratch existing.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks Simon. I’m thinking maybe I should sand back and fill the scratches with timber mate and then spot stain those parts. Not sure if it would take the stain but at this point I’m thinking if I can’t salvage it then it’ll get sanded and a solid colour so what is there to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am never going to look for a scratch again, so all my builds should turn out flawless!
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

It's all part of the circle of guitar building. You put down a tool, immediately it disappears and a scratch appears on the body to compensate.

It's all part of the circle of guitar building. You put down a tool, immediately it disappears and a scratch appears on the body to compensate.
    Totally agree with this sentiment!

No truer words have been spoken.

How true is that Simon!!

So the plan of attack at this point is some spot repairs for the scratches, re stain those spots to hopefully match the finish. Then sanding sealer, block it back and then clear coats. Not sure if it’s exactly the right way to tackle it but it’s the best I can think of. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast