Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cakewalk by Bandlab ( free )

Cakewalk by Bandlab ( free )

Taken from TDPRI

Just because one can never have too much software

"We are making the software completely free to use to ensure that anyone, regardless of their resources, technology or stage in their career, can have access to the highest level of professional music production tools. This is part of our ongoing effort to empower musicians to make and share their music around the world. "

wow!

World-leading DAW SONAR, with the entire SONAR Platinum feature set, is relaunching as Cakewalk by BandLab
    Full authentication and unlimited feature-access will be available free
    Early access to Cakewalk by BandLab is available now on Windows

https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-by...press-release/
    Last edited by dave.king1; 06-04-2018 at 06:40 AM.

What do you use, Dave? I've been using Garageband and am slowly coming to grips with it; is Cakewalk the same sort of thing?
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

Interesting. Even though I already use Cakewalk Sonar would be curious to try it.
    However, I'm already experiencing the hurdle-jumping invasive sign-up process that's putting me off.

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by corsair View Post
    What do you use, Dave? I've been using Garageband and am slowly coming to grips with it; is Cakewalk the same sort of thing?
    I have used Reaper since about 2012, prior to that I had a hate/hate relationship with both Cakewalk and the Cubase, having said that I believe the root of my previous problems was lack of understanding and less tutorial resources than exist today.

The signup process doesn't appear to be invasive, my guess it will be to encourage an upgrade to Sonar Platinum and also to flog proprietary plugins via marketing emails which can be unsubscribed

Thanks for the heads-up Dave.

Fellow Reaperite here. Very happy with it but on the Reaper Forums there is speculation that some of the Cakewalk plugins might work with Reaper. If it is confirmed I might install Cakewalk just for the plugins. Otherwise too heavily into Reaper and too old to climb the learning curve of a different DAW.

I have Harrison Mixbus, and despite the hype, I still prefer Reaper.

Cheers
    rob

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I still prefer Reaper.

Cheers
    rob
    I'm hearing ya Rob, I've had a quick look at CW and there will be a bit of a learning curve.

Reaper is alarmingly powerful, in fact I think the problem with it is that it's a bit like Linux, it will do pretty much anything with what is there "in skin" but that same flexibility scares many off

Yep, agree Dave. When I'm going through the Reaper Threads half of them might as well be in a different language. I have no idea what they are talking about.

But Reaper does exactly what I want even though I know I am not even scratching the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Yep, agree Dave. When I'm going through the Reaper Threads half of them might as well be in a different language. I have no idea what they are talking about.

But Reaper does exactly what I want even though I know I am not even scratching the surface.
    Have a look at the Yep threads, his posts over three years are bundled up into three documents lots of good stuff in there

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post

The signup process doesn't appear to be invasive, my guess it will be to encourage an upgrade to Sonar Platinum and also to flog proprietary plugins via marketing emails which can be unsubscribed
    O.K. Seeing 'sign in with facebook' set the alarm bells ringing with the baggage that crowd seems to be carrying around lately.
    Now I get the ever so helpful 'BandLab' assistant popping up every time I boot up the PC.

cheers, Mark.

This free version doesn't have Melodyne included with it, though you can always purchase this separately and then it has the full integration into Sonar as it has previously. Obviously it can't go on being free, so expect to pay for upgraded versions in the future. But it shows that they are serious about continuing its development and luring back Sonar users who've jumped to another DAW after the Gibson closure of Cakewalk.

11. Liked by: dave.king1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast