Thread: The GAS is strong with this one....

The GAS is strong with this one....

Every time I get some cash saved and get close to buying a Kit, something comes along and steals my attention.
    This Time it is a Rescue Bass. This poor Warwick Rock Bass Streamer was owned by a Guitarist who sadly neglected it.
    If it's poor life didn't start out bad enough in Bright Red, It has been rough sanded and then reassembled unfinished.
    Pickup wires were cut, then just twisted together and gaffa taped, Neck Pickup does not work. there are some dents on the back of the neck and the action needs to be measured with an Altimeter.....
    All this is fixable.
    It is my intention to finish it with a medium dark stain and Gloss T.O.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warwick.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	25739

First Question, since it has already been finished once, is there any point using grain filler?????
    I would never join a club that would have a member like me.....

It all depends on how much sanding has taken off. Does it feel rough along the grain lines?

The previous filler and finish will have soaked in to the surface wood, so you'd need to check with turps or metho whether you need to sand more in order for a stain to take. It may be a very patchy take-up otherwise. It may even be best to spray with a tinted lacquer before using TO unless you sand quite a lot of the surface off; in which case, some grain filler will probably be required.

Thanks Simon,
    I will sand it further and maybe even do a little bit of subtle reshaping.
    That Top horn looks a bit cartoonesque for my liking.....
    I would never join a club that would have a member like me.....