Thread: What exactly is Dingotone?

What exactly is Dingotone?

Apart from being "non-synthetic" the "Dingotone" thread doesn't seem to explain what it actually is. (As in varnish, shellac, lacquer etc). The answer may have been there originally, but I think it might have been buried in all the replies.
    Basically, how is it applied, what does it smell like, and how long does it take to dry?

Aaah - what is Dingotone. Overall its a wipe on oil that will harden over time to a transparent shell. From what I know, it contains a number of oils and waxes as well as tints to provide the desired colour. Dingotone has been developed and is all produced in Perth. Dingotone is applied with a small rag, much the same way as a wipe on poly or shellac. There are some videos on how to apply in this section of the website: https://www.pitbullguitars.com/dingotone-instructions/ - there are two parts. Dingobass - (Dingotone's inventor) walks you through how to apply and finish using the stain and top coats.
    Dingotone has a certain amount of citrus oil in it as you can tell when you open the container - there is a strong, pleasant citrus smell - which means you could apply Dingotone in the house if necessary.
    Dingotone drying will vary - depending on humidity, temperature, etc., but generally - reapply after a couple of days, once finished, leave it for a couple of weeks (3-4) before final polishing.

If you have any specific questions - Dingobass is also around and is happy to answer questions - email is db at pitbullguitars dot com.

Hope that helps.
    B

Thanks. I've actually been using Feast Watson's fine rubbing oil which appears to be broadly similar in concept. The advantage of that is that you can apply it to the unsanded bare wood with 0000 steel wool, and the rubbing both works in the waxes and resins, and smooths down the wood at the same time. After that I finish with Gilly Stephenson's cabinet wax. Similarly, it takes a few weeks to harden but it gives a lovely finish.
    The only reason I originally used those products was that I already had some left over from restoring an antique cabinet about 8 years ago. They were both still good! Try that with a can of synthetic lacquer....
    My approach is that a lot of people here are not going to have a suitable place where they can spray smelly lacquer, or be able to justify buying more than a spray can.
    Many people living in flats will be limited to working on a kitchen table, so a finish that you can apply like furniture polish and doesn't smell a train full of girls putting on nail varnish scores a lot of points :-)