Thread: Salo's Third Build SSCM-1Q

Salo's Third Build SSCM-1Q

I'm back on the scene again after an absence of 7 years. Somer time ago I got the bug again and bought an LP style kit, SSCM-1Q with gold fittings. My intention was to upgrade the guitar with locking tuners, Mr Fantastic "LIX" hand wound vintage humbuckers and a "Jimmy Page" pots setup. I also installed a genuine Gibson LP selector switch.

To highlight the Quilt I applied a mahogany grain filler on the veneer and then rubbed it backl. I procrastinated over what colour it would be to show up the Quilting. Then I remembered in the past that a fellow member posted that he used "Food Colouring" as a coat option. So I checked around and settled on green and bought "Queen Classic Green". Simple to apply and an amazing result.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0321SP.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	339.4 KB 
ID:	44079
    I left the back and neck natural Mahogany with just grain filler and a clear coat. As I posted in a recent thread a bought some COLORSPEC Acrylic Paint, Deep Crystal Clear from SuperCheap. It is Isocynate free but it features unique 2 pack properties in a pressure pack (Reading off the label). The beauty of it was that it was easy to spray and I could put on coats every hour. This is during summer so I don't know about cold weather. I then used a small electric polisher with SCA Cut & Polish and acheived a very high polish.

Name:	IMG_0333S.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	44080 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0329S.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	326.1 KB 
ID:	44081
    I have since then glued the neck to the body and fitted the hardware. This is the result ready for wiring.

Name:	IMG_0344S.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	425.1 KB 
ID:	44082 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0345S.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	362.6 KB 
ID:	44083

Welcome back Salo.

The green top with the natural mahogany looks great!
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"