Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Simon B's GPR-1B build

...and C&K are good quality switches.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

You're right, Neverwas. The staining has shown up the veneer layer (which is very thin), which wasn't obvious to start with. Thanks for the heads up, or I might have gone very wrong!

My switch hole is far enough away from the side to fit my planned switch, a right-angled Switchcraft unit. Just tested it out.

Hey Simon, you have another award one there, but if any one can sort it out mate ,it would be you . I was going to suggest Plastibond ,which is an epoxy filler that hardens like a rock, that can be drilled and screwed if needed. Good luck anyway mate, take care.
    Build-1 ES-3 June 2016 GOTM.
    Build-2 IB-1S
    Build-3. ES-12G June 2019 GOTM.
    Build-4 Gene Simmons axe bass. 43 year project done.
    Build-5. TL-1S May 2021 GOTM joint winner.

I've sorted one side so far, using veneer and glue. Doing the same on the other side with the bigger gap. Yes, I could use filler, but I've got the veneer and glue, and it feels more 'organic' to carry on using the same materials as the guitar was built with.

I really like your use of veneer. I have never used it, but want to give it a try where I got a little aggressive on the sanding. What kind do you get? Where do you get it? Is there any you'd avoid?

I bought a couple of mixed packs of marquetry veneer from eBay. The pieces aren't big enough to do a guitar top, but are generally around 10" x 4" in size (some a bit bigger, some smaller) but big enough to make wedges for neck pockets etc. These are all the thin 0.6mm veneer, though you can get thicker 1mm and 2mm veneers (often called construction veneers) but the price rises considerably as the thickness increases. They will typically contain maple, mahogany and maybe some ash, as well as other woods that I have no idea what they are, some of them dyed.

You can of course buy single wood veneers, but they tend to come in either long thin strips for woodwork edging pieces, or large pieces for veneering table tops or guitar tops. The marquetry packs give you quite a selection of veneers for useable sizes of wood for maybe US$10 or so.

Ok, great. That's essentially what I ordered. US sites say it's 1/42" thick because we don't use a rational measurement system here.

It was good enough for us once, so don't worry. Any system is fine if you understand it. Though I find decimal values of mm and cm are far easier to understand than decimal values of inches, where I find a need to change it to standard fractions of an inch.

It is increasingly common here to use inches with decimals as well as with fractions. So I have had to learn that veneer that is .6 mm, 1/42” and .024” is the same. I often convert everything to mm just because it's easier.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast