Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: VonScott's first build - ST1

I too would say it's just figuring in the maple. I've got a rosewood neck that I'm fitting to a maple-necked Tele for a friend, and the maple in that goes from very plain at the headstock to a very good quilt at the heel.

Good luck with the rest of the spraying.

Thanks Simon!

A question for anyone that has aerosol spraying experience:
    I’ve started spraying the colour today - very exciting! On the first coat there was a couple of paint runs so I sanded them down using 600 grit when I was keying for the next coat - it took ages, was that the right approach or could I have used a more course grit to flatten it and then work back up to 600 in that spot?

The main goal is to not get any more, but already on the second coat I got another splotch, so I know I’ll be doing it again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s probably a case of goon a bit too heavy on your initial coat. You are far better to mist on several very light coats, than try and get “shiny”complete coats in one hit.

I had this fun and games with my LP build, it takes a while to get your control and stroke motion down.

Are you using a gun or a rattle can?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Yeah, that’s definitely what it was the first time around, I was a bit over eager. I’m using rattle cans so the second one was just a rogue splotch. Should I be sanding these down between coats or wait until I’ve got a few layers on?

I’m going to be extra careful on future coats, so hopefully no more!

I’d give your self half a dozen coats before you block back. How many undercoats did you put on?
    FrankenLab

Thanks, that’s good to know, I’ll keep playing the painting/waiting game!

I lost count of how many layers of undercoat I put on, but it was pretty much two full cans.

Quote Originally Posted by VonScott View Post
    Thanks, that’s good to know, I’ll keep playing the painting/waiting game!

I lost count of how many layers of undercoat I put on, but it was pretty much two full cans.

You should be good as long as you blocked back well on the undercoat and git things flat it should go well.

I had some advice from Phrozin that you should have at least 4 colour coats before you cut back (I think?!) I'll dig around for the thread and link it.

FrankenLab

And form my experience, always wait at least a day before sanding back any runs. Because the paint is thicker in the run, it takes longer to dry. Doing it too soon means the centre is often still wet, and the solvent in the paint has re-melted the layer or two beneath, so when you sand it before it's all dry, you end up with a dent that needs to be filled.

Thanks for the advice Franken and Simon. I've just my fifth coat this morning and it's looking really nice, with the added bonus that the run and "splodge" seem to have settled significantly so shouldn't be too difficult to knock back.

Also put the first coat of neck finish on yesterday and it's looking nice and shiny!

I'm going away for a few days next week, so hoping to have the neck and body done and ready for curing before I leave.

Here’s some update pics.

Paint is all on, it’s far from perfect but I should be able to get it all flat. I’m not putting any clear on it, so currently just leaving it to cure before I wet sand then polish it.

After the earlier question about pickguard colour I’d starting thinking of a lot of other options, but putting it on the body in the pic below I still like the white, so will stick with that at least until it’s all done and I consider all the upgrade options.

The neck has two coats of final coat on it, it’s still quite sticky after 5 days, so also giving that some time before progressing.

And now, while I’m waiting I can’t help but go back to the pitbull site and think about a next project!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast