Thread: Lukas ES-2V

Lukas ES-2V

So I wanted to build something kind of Gretsch-like. Thats why I decided to go with the ES-2V Kit, which I finally - after some waiting time at German customs - got about 2 weeks ago.

I am going to use Gretssch FilterTrons on this guitar (still waiting for them to be delivered), as I just love this typical Gretsch sound.
    Originally I was going for a Bigsby B7 to put on there, but it just wont fit (to large for Vibremate, even to large to get the bridge proberly in place...), so im now thinking about a B5 with a Vibramate.

I want to get a nice dark-ish blue finish, but I am not quite sure if I'm going to stain or paint it. I guess I will just get some wood, see which I like more and then use that on my guitar.

As this is my first guitar build - and thus my first diary - I would really appreaciate your guys input and feedback according the ideas for my build and this diary.

Glad your kit arrived safely.

Be aware that Gretsch pickups are a bit narrower than standard humbuckers, so you'll probably need to get some adapter rings for them to fit in a standard humbucker rout without having gaps round the edges.

If you want to make the most of the quilt veneer, then I'd suggest staining it (at least the top), then using a clear coat over the top. If you want a solid colour, then I'd suggest paint.

3. Liked by: Chiin

Nice looking kit, Chiin. I would second Simon's suggestion to stain it, but of course it is entirely up to you!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Stain, stain, stain. I popped the quilt veneer on my Tele with some diluted black first. I gives a nice 3D effect. Be careful though, a blue stain with a Tru-Oil finish will come out slightly green. Better to finish with a clear finish. Do your research first and be patient. It will look great when you are finished. Good Luck!

great kit! they are so light, love mine! and I vote Stain as well!
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Nice kit lucas, the one i made is great to play, id stain the quilt it will look amazing Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170820_104125.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	24762you wont be sorry this is how mine burned out

So just to let you guys know: I stained it blue and I am working on clear coating it right now
    (...and I'm absolutly loving the looks of it)