Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Filling stop tail piece holes

The only thing to look out for with such a bridge is the lowest height you can set it to. There have been several ES-2 builds in the past 6 months, so look out for those build diaries. Several are by regulars here, so someone should be able to tell you what the neck angle is like and how much height you'll need for the bridge. If the neck angle is shallow, you will need a bridge that isn't too tall.

You could look at fitting a B5. They will fit on a Les Paul style body and you can then use a B5 Vibramate and the stop tailpiece holes as normal. The Bigsby will then be at the right distance from the bridge. http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v5-install.php

I guess that sounds better than trying to find a solution for the problems with the V7.

Hi Chiin

I built an earlier version of this kit (f-holes have changed shape but otherwise the same) and fitted a B70 to it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	es top.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	385.5 KB 
ID:	24727
    I only filled the post holes with dowel and did not put a piece of veneer on top and the stain is darker on the dowel as you can see. The B70 is about 3mm wider than the B7 so you will see slightly more of the post hole repairs with yours.

Name:	es E.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	316.8 KB 
ID:	24728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	es hi e.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	316.5 KB 
ID:	24729
    To get the action down I used a Bigsby aluminium bridge. If you want to use a floating roller bridge it may be an idea to make a tapered shim for the neck pocket (Simon explained this recently in rook's RCA-4 build diary). Only down side to that is the angle of the strings over the bridge and down to the roller bar of the Bigsby will be greater, the roller saddles on the bridge may not make this a big issue. Whichever type of floating bridge you use, it is good practice to shape the underside of the bridge's base to suit the curve of the top of your instrument, which will lower it slightly at the same time.

Name:	es bridge.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	327.3 KB 
ID:	24730
    Some food for thought and to show it can be done. Ooo, start a build diary if you haven't already, we love to see pics of what everyone is up to.

Grant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2