Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More DIY - Cab this time

ha ha ha, yeah that's happened to me so many times when I'm drilling pedal enclosures. It's so frustrating
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Nice project.
    I have a Vox 1x12 with a vintage 30 in it - nice compact cab

I also have two unused vintage 30’s in boxes ready to become a 2x12, so watching with interest

Managed to get stuck in at the weekend, with my limited tools and woodworking skills.

A start, the 4 main pieces and batons cut to size. And yes I do have serious workshop envy looking at the post of a lot of your sheds. My workbench, the top of the chest freezer in the garage :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	277.2 KB 
ID:	24626

I don't have the tools to do finger joints so basic butt joints with glued and screwed batons for support

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	337.6 KB 
ID:	24627

I used a router for the first time to round over the edges, wanted to get a 20mm bit so as I could do a full radius cut on the 19mm pine, but the Big Green Shed didn't have any, and I was too impatient to wait and order one, so a 10mm would have to do. The routing wasn't great, but nothing a bit of sanding and tidying up could fix.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	318.1 KB 
ID:	24628

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	318.1 KB 
ID:	24628

To be continued
    #1 LP1-SS
    #2 Non PB Vintage Strat Rebuild
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #4 ES-12G (now converted to ES-1)
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT
    #7 Non PB 52 Tele replica
    #8 Coming Soon: 1970's Japanese Les Paul Special Resto.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Being continued....

a first sand and the corners cleaned up.

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	24629

Took 2 attempts to get the baffle cut, first time tried the dremel with the circle cutter, was a disaster. Second time with the jig saw a bit better, again a bit of a sand will tidy it up.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	271.2 KB 
ID:	24630

And after all my judicious measuring and using a guide block I cut, seems its still a bit out on the fit of the back panels, will need to sort that out. planning on cutting a 3rd section that can go in or out so I can try both open and closed back.

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	278.0 KB 
ID:	24631

A bit more timbermating and sanding to do, and in the meantime will order some Tolex and other bits an pieces to finish it off. Probably a while till I can get hold of a speaker, unless something pops up on ebay cheap.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Are you planning to front or rear mount the speaker? If rear, then remember that those rear panels need to be removable if you ever want to swap the speaker, or get to it for some bolt tightening. So screw them. but don;t glue them. If front mounting, then whatever grille you fit needs to be removable as well.

A friend is making me a small bass cab for a 10" speaker I provided for the build (300W Celestion with a neo magnet) as I gave him some speakers and bits. He's bringing it over tomorrow. for some testing and tuning.

Name:	27720663_391790084613154_682151782_n.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	24632

That speaker is front mounted using 5mm barrel headed hex bolts and T-nuts for a fixed nut installation. As it's a sealed tuned port design, it had to be front mounted. I'll be making a metal grille for the front

It may depend on the speaker as to what bolt size fits best, but Celestion seem to use 5mm in all their suggested cab construction details, and although 6mm can be made to fit with a very small amount of filing, 6mm T-nuts then get very close to the edge of the circular cut-out.

The bass amp I have is a small TC BH250 Mk 1. The speaker is a 4 ohm one so I can get the full 250W from the amp if I ever want to. It's only really designed for home use and it won't have a huge amount of bass end, and above around 60W the ports are probably going to chuff quite loudly.

You may notice that the top-mounted handle has had the corners cut away, so the TC's feet sit in the cut-outs. The handle is around 6mm thick in the centre of the cut-outs and this is enough to stop the lightweight amp from moving under vibration, the weight of the speaker cable and the instrument cable. There were various other methods in the pipeline to stop the amp moving but still leave it easily removable, such as adding an extra plywood surround on the top of the cab that the amp sat in, but in the end this was the simplest method.

Hi Simon, I'll be rear mounting the speaker and the baffle will also be attached from the rear to avoid seeing any screws on the front so yes, the rear panels will be removable. I'll need to re cut them as there currently isn't enough space for them to fit once I've wrapped them and the cab.

Cheers
    #1 LP1-SS
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT

Good thing you remembered to adjust for the covering before you wrapped it!

For reference, here's the back of my old Marshall 1x12" cab.

Name:	Marshall cab small.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	393.4 KB 
ID:	24634

Hole cut in the top panel for a handle, jack connection in the bottom panel. The rear panels are just painted black with no covering on them.

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Nice project.
    I have a Vox 1x12 with a vintage 30 in it - nice compact cab

I also have two unused vintage 30’s in boxes ready to become a 2x12, so watching with interest
    When I started looking into a basic cab build, I often found known brand speakers popping up on ebay and gumtree, eventualy found a Vox 1x12 also, which had a celestion GB 25 - 8ohm and couldnt resist given price.
    Still like to have a crack at building one after seeing Dedmans and now yours. best of luck with an interesting project !

Name:	20170708_165302[1].jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	24635

EDIT: interested in any pics Stan of your cab

Celestion Creamback - $130 - still available at time of post

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-de...dId=1173901782

[QUOTE=Guvna19;160229]When I started looking into a basic cab build, I often found known brand speakers popping up on ebay and gumtree, eventualy found a Vox 1x12 also, which had a celestion GB 25 - 8ohm and couldnt resist given price.
    Still like to have a crack at building one after seeing Dedmans and now yours. best of luck with an interesting project !

Its worth having a go, Think this is going pretty well considering I have no particular skills in this area, I think you have to start this by acknowledging you could probably just go and buy something pretty reasonable for the $'s you end up spending on building it, but at the end of the day don't think that comes into it, more about having something you know you made yourself. Same with the kits, of the 3 I've built/started sure none of them have come in under $600 - $700 bucks, Just don't let the wife you that :-)
    #1 LP1-SS
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast