Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon B's Custom ESB-4 Build.

It would be the icing on the cake if they send out a replacement and they're the wrong pickups.
    Simon----->

Wise to get your money back. If the pickups came fine next time who knows what else might be a problem.

I ran into these guys a few years ago when I was looking at a rewind doe a dead G&L pickup. Good prices and a pretty interesting stock... I found them really easy to deal with, and since you are routing anyway...

http://www.sentellpickups.net

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

"We checked them before they were sent out and were fine. It must have happened in transit".

Yeah, like something could have made those marks yet left the thick plastic case wrapped in bubble-wrap unmarked. I don't think so. I think they didn't open the case to have a good look and reflections on the case hid the marks.

I've asked for pictures of the actual pickups out of the box before they send any replacements. If they won't play ball, then it's money back time and a set of Bartolini soapbars (but which ones - lots of numbers but the sound descriptions are all the same?).

I'd just give up on the SDs. I really resent paying US hand made prices for cheap Chinese knock off quality control...

Did you check out the Sentell site? He has some univox drop in pups that might be a cool vibe. Also some side-wound soapbars with jazz pole-pieces in the middle. He offered to do something custom for me, and I know he does that regularly. Even custom will be less than off-the-shelf SDs or Bartolinis. Might be worth asking him to do exactly what you want. I know you're not trying to save money, but it might be cool to do something totally custom...

The trouble is I have no real idea what totally custom pickups I'd want. They would end up very similar to the SDs. I have looked at the site. The problem is that by the time I add international postage, then add 23% for UK sales tax and import duty, plus the UK post office handling charge, I'd be looking at a similar price to the SDs, and more than a set of the Bartolinis that I've currently earmarked as the 1st alternative choice.

Ahh.... (picture my inner cheapskate recoiling in horror).

Wish I could be more help with the Bartolinis. I have never used any. On the website they seem to sort by shape. If there's a shape you like, you might see if you can hear a few on youtube. That worked pretty well for me choosing a set of passive P+J pickups... My quick look at youtube is that this is somewhat complicated with Bartos because they are so often coupled with a pre-amp.

Just got my internet back so sorry for the delay.

The only problem with the knurled inserts is you can push them in and pull them back out but due to the extra length they maybe harder to lever out but a threaded insert would have the least likely hood of being pulled out and would be achieved with a shorter insert. A standard M12 bolt has a minor diameter slightly smaller than the 10.3 hole but it is a fine thread and I feel that there maybe too much wood displaced and may push the top face up. Maybe to help you could tap the hole out first which would make the bolt fit tightly or maybe file a flat on each side of the thread to allow it to cut its own thread. I would probably go for a 1/2" whitworth thread as they are a courser thread and again you could tap the hole or use 2 flats or maybe 1 flat. Problem would be using the M8 threads as it only leaves about just less than 1mm side wall thickness so the hole through the middle would have to be smack on .The minor diameter is a lot smaller than 10.3 but the major diameter is 0.7mm larger than the M12 . Could be made smaller by using a electric drill and a file on slow speed to reduce the outside or maybe even use a square file to open the threads up so instead of a 55 degree included angle you increase them to possibly 90 and that would decrease the outside diameter. Have done that out in the field a few times for worn or rusted bolts.

You can always try it with a piece of scrap first but in the past I have used similar home made items. Biggest problem is putting the hole through the middle without a lathe but not impossible as long as you have a drill press and a vice, easy as. Just make sure if you machine stainless it is at a slow speed otherwise you can risk hardening the item and ruining your tools. It is a lot harder than buying an insert but seeing as you are having a problem with inserts you could make exactly what you want and it would be quicker than the time in postage. And to me its a bit of fun and makes me think a little bit now that I haven't got the tools I used to have.
    Builds :
    # 1 - Non PBG ES-335
    # 2 - Non PBG Tele Thin line
    # 3 - Non PBG LP
    # 4 - Non PBG SG
    # 5 - RC-1
    # 6 - TL-1
    # 7 - ST-1 Custom
    # 8 - SGB-30 + Non PBG SG
    # 9 - Custom JRM-1DC 12 String
    #10 - Custom ST-1 with P90's
    #11 - Custom TL-1 with 27" Bari Neck
    #12 - Custom JZ-6 Jazzmaster
    #13 - AG-1 Factory Second
    #14 - Custom JZ-6 Bass vi
    #15 - EX-1R Factory Second
    #16 - AGM-1
    #17 - EXA-7

This is great - it would never have occurred to me to think of doing something like this
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Current pickup situation is that Guitar Guitar have ordered another set and will film an unboxing for me when they arrive to prove they are unblemished (or not) before arranging a swap with the current damaged items. The UK distributor for Seymour Duncan (Rosetti) apparently are most unhelpful and won't take pictures of the replacement set before they leave their warehouse (which would save a lot of time if the set they send out are again faulty - which they well could be). Seymour Duncan have yet to respond to my email to them, so I won't be buying or recommending any Seymour Duncan pickups in the future.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast