As well as the ES-1, I also received a custom ESB-4 bass kit today, which I'm putting together for a friend. This came without any pickup routing or headstock holes so I could decide what to fit once I got the kit.

I'm a little bit disappointed with this kit compared to the ES-1. The neck is very loose in the pocket, so will definitely require at least one if not two layers of veneer on the sides. The fret ends are again quite sharp, but won't take more than a few minutes to fix.

There was one small dent and one scratch in the veneer which will need a bit of work on. I got sent a picture of the kit by Adam before it was sent, and the scratch wasn't visible in it, so I can only assume that it got it when inspected by customs. Grrrrrrr. There was also a small flake of veneer (about 2mm x 2mm) that had broken off on an edge of the neck pocket which will need a bit of filler. Unlike the ES-1, this area won't be covered by an overhanging fretboard.

The veneer has a much fainter flame pattern than the ES-1. Not a big issue really, but it would have been nice to have them more closely matching.

On the plus side I couldn't find any glue spots and again the veneer join runs right down the centreline.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB4 small.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	504.9 KB 
ID:	24284

I've ordered a Hipshot Supertone bridge for it, and the bassist and I decided on a set of Seymour Duncan SSB-NYC pickups

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NYC-Bass-set-4-strg_BEAUTY-700x477.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	24285
https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup...=5a622fa66837b

...and will fit two mini toggle switches for series, parallel and single coil modes, so these are on their way. Once they arrive then I'll have to work out how to rout out some cavities for them- also where to put them in relation to the bridge.

I' know I need to fit a Hipshot Xtender machinehead for the E string, so will need to select some matching tuners.

Again, this kit will be finished in a vintage cherry stain, and then Tru-Oil. Just the front face of the headstock will be painted black.