Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Simon B's Custom ES-1/ES330 style build

I’ve just noticed the guitar, ‘in front of roo.’ (Dad joke).
    Would you make it black? I’m curious to see what you would make. If I haven’t already said it, nice work. I expect you already know this appeals to me. P90’s, ES, red, yes indeed.

It would be a black 3-ply scratchplate, primarily because that's the normal colour, plus it's all the scratchplate material I have. I'll have a go at making one. Not fussed about the curves, but getting the lines straight in the pickup cut-outs is my biggest worry. And when I worry about something, it puts me off doing it. But I can relax over this as I don't need to get it right. I do need to cut out some control cavity covers for the GSM-1 and the EX-1, but they are relatively easy.

I'm now calling this guitar finished. I couldn't get the action as l liked it with either the original TonePros Nashville bridge and then with a Sung-Il Nashville bridge which seemed to be slightly lower. The bridge was sitting right on the body and wasn't going to go lower, and I didn't like that.

Then Someone here mentioned the Goldo Lowrider bridge, which is significantly lower than a standard Tune-O-Matic. It's more akin to and ABR-1 bridge than a Nashville bridge in design and width, and like the old ABR-1, comes with threaded 4mm posts. But I had some 8mm to 4mm adapter bushings, so fitted those in the existing post studs, then screwed the 4mm posts on and fitted the bridge.

I could now lower the action enough to make me happy, and still have room to drop the bridge height a bit more (if it was necessary).

It's staying without a scratchplate.

Sounds lovely. Glad I bought those Creamery pickups. Weather is bad here at the moment. I tried to take some final photos when the sun was briefly visible behind light cloud, but the heavy stuff moved in again, along with the constant threat of rain, so they'll have to wait for another day.

4. Liked by: dave.king1

Looking very nice without the pickguard I reckon.

6. Liked by: OliSam

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    Looking very nice without the pickguard I reckon.
    1+ It's a beauty. Glad you got it to play to your liking!

That looks mint! And my vote is no pickguard too. Glad you got the bridge all sorted and to your liking.

Fantastic. Can you use that bridge on your ES-3?

I could, but they don't do it in gold. But I have contemplated rubbing the gold off the rest of the hardware on the ES3 and changing it to a chrome look.

Great job Simon. Looking forward to a full photo reveal. Yes the Goldo seems to be the answer for the ES. Very happy with mine too. Even with kit pickups
    Guitars:
    Build #4 - Scratch SG - Qld Mahogany - In Progress
    PBG#3- - ES-1F - kit electronics (Dec 2020)- upgrade if I can do it justice
    PBG#2- - STA-1 Ash w black upgrades GOTM June 2020
    PBG#1- LP-1MQ http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6378
    Acoustics -Washburn WD18SW
    - Maton Australian EA80C
    Electric - Magnum pseudo Stratocaster - upgraded with PitBull bits - 2020

Waiting for decent weather. Succession of dull, quite wet and humid days here for the past few weeks. Not good spraying or photography weather.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast