Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your shed, workshop, office, dungeon.....

2. Liked by: corsair, teamjeffo

What a great idea for a thread! I love seeing what spaces people create to realise their projects, especially as people are almost always 'making do'. I have a friend with an international exhibiting art practice who makes all of her massive wire sculptures in a tiny granny flat out the back of some guys house. It's pretty inspirational.

Here are a few shots of my studio. This is where I do basically anything that doesn't involve power tools, or anything that doesn't produce a tonne of dust:

And some shots of a few of my favourite things lol. My DIY pedal collection grows (as does my collection of tobacciana)

I've co-opted our sunroom for a woodwork space though:

Last edited by JohnH; 12-01-2018 at 06:52 AM.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Awesome stuff John, another space I'd feel right at home in.

My only hope is that you have a Beagle to bring you the paper and slippers when you settle down with the pipe collection in the comfy chair.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

5. Liked by: wazkelly

You don't realise how precious space is until you have very little; on the farm in NZ I had a woolshed which was co-opted very quickly into a workshop/rehearsal space, and then in Jersey I had a tiny garage - far too cold and dark to do much of anything for 11½ months of the year!! - and a dining room table! I'm not dissing the table - I repaired an Aria Pro II U-60 that had been snapped in two across the control cavity on it!!
    Australia has to be the king of sheds - the one I've got now is most excellent; still plenty of space to work on the cars if I need to be indoors, but the honking great carport usually suffices for most tasks! Plenty of space for the general crap that a family of five accumulates over the years and of course, space for the workbench and desk with all the major power tools either bolted down on pedestals or to the workbench; luxury, I tells ya!

A big shed is awesome... but not when it's too cold or too hot...

The tropic of Capricorn not far behind my huge 9m x 12m shed. Actually the Burnett highway (the Qld A3 highway) is immediately behind the shed.

It's an awesome huge space to work in when the temperature isn't hovering near our Aussie Summer extremes... My RF (radio) bench area has been a bit of a dumping ground while I pursue other tasks such as guitars and lighting. Best thing is, as my wife and I are the only ones with keys and she has nil interest in 'the shed' I can close it up and walk away and everything will be in exactly the place I left it when I come back...a must have particularly for when the grandkids visit..

I have plenty of steel cupboards to hold various items in an organised way, plus lots shelving for all the other stuff... like for fixing TV's, microwaves, radios, stage & disco lights sorts of things... and there is also a solid heavy mother of a bench made entirely from 4"x2" hardwood for when I really need to belt the daylights out of something with that much bigger hammer....lol

On the other side of the house we also have a standard 2 car 6m x 6m garage that the wife is interested in turning into a studio or recreation room of sorts with air conditioning and wash room facilities. It will be one renovation that I'll happily take over once she looses interest....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180112_130459_resized.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	499.8 KB 
ID:	24069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180112_130749_resized.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	468.1 KB 
ID:	24070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180112_131004_resized.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	452.4 KB 
ID:	24071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180112_130653_resized.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	363.5 KB 
ID:	24072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180112_130718_resized.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	361.6 KB 
ID:	24073  

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Awesome stuff John, another space I'd feel right at home in.

My only hope is that you have a Beagle to bring you the paper and slippers when you settle down with the pipe collection in the comfy chair.
    Ha ha, sadly no beagle. Doubly sadly, it's a dwindling supply of tobacco - it's getting very expensive to get good tobacco (operative word being good. It's also getting very expensive to buy poor quality tobacco, but really why would you bother?). Not that I recommend anyone take up the habit, but I'm a very, very occasional smoker - probably only one pipe every month or two, so I'm far more concerned about the health effects of the printmaking chemicals I use on a daily basis. I do love the look of the pipe collection though; they're very nice objects. Also a few of them are inherited, so there's an additional value there.
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Woah! Marcel, that shed is amazing! And that RF bench! I have tremendous shed/electronics envy right now
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Holy dooly Marcel. You've got quite the mad scientist vibe going there.

Here's me thinking Frankenwalshie would be bringing the 'one-lab-accident-away-from-being-a-supervillan'.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Ha ha, sadly no beagle. Doubly sadly, it's a dwindling supply of tobacco - it's getting very expensive to get good tobacco (operative word being good. It's also getting very expensive to buy poor quality tobacco, but really why would you bother?). Not that I recommend anyone take up the habit, but I'm a very, very occasional smoker - probably only one pipe every month or two, so I'm far more concerned about the health effects of the printmaking chemicals I use on a daily basis. I do love the look of the pipe collection though; they're very nice objects. Also a few of them are inherited, so there's an additional value there.
    Yeah I happened to see the price of a pack of Peter Jacksons the other day and couldn't believe it. Makes me very happy I quit when my first kid came along. I've still had the odd one here and there over the years, usually during band practice when everyone else is a smoker. But I really don't feel the urge much, and at todays prices there is zero incentive to pick it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Holy dooly Marcel. You've got quite the mad scientist vibe going there.

Here's me thinking Frankenwalshie would be bringing the 'one-lab-accident-away-from-being-a-supervillan'.
    The FrankenLab is very safety conscious, mainly as Igor hates having to reattach things.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast