Thread: On the bench

On the bench

I had this guitar come in for a set-up. It's quite interesting. A no-name LP copy 12-string apparently from Korea.

The story the customer told me is some dude in Korea buys no-name-MIK guitars and does custom inlay work on them and then re-sells them.
    I have no idea how old it is, but it has not been looked after and whoever cut the nut should have the files taken away!
    Whilst the inlay work is interesting some of it rough as guts. However since I have never done any inlay, who am I to judge. It still looks pretty cool and definitely a one-off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon LP fnt.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	387.2 KB 
ID:	39170

It was an absolute dog to play (not helped by the most horribly corroded strings you'd have ever seen). Stupid high action, stupid high nut, over-relieved neck. Pretty basic stuff to fix but no one had taken the time to address any of it.
    Frets were actually in pretty good nick apart from badly tarnished and two high ones.

The owner didn't want to spend much on it so wouldn't spring for me to cut a new nut, so I had rework the existing one as best as I could. Fortunately most of the string slots were too high, so lowering was doable. However the spacing appeared to have been done by eye (and not a good eye) and I think with only one size file! Pretty shocking.
    Tuning is a real PITA due the spacing of those as well. Hard to tune one without bumping another... errrrggghhh!

Name:	Dragon LP hdstk.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	39171

In the end, it finished up being very playable and the owner was absolutely chuffed. He was thinking of selling it but now says it's a keeper!
    The job had it's moments but it was a overall a good one. Something a little different than the budget Ibanez RG's I often get.

I didn't have time to take any "after" photos. It didn't change much in appearance besides shiny polished frets anyway.

Name:	Dragon LP back.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	39173

Name:	Dragon LP fret.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	371.3 KB 
ID:	39174
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I'm sure I've seen one of these before... and a quick google shows a whole lot of them available through places like Ali Express and Wish.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    I'm sure I've seen one of these before... and a quick google shows a whole lot of them available through places like Ali Express and Wish.
    Yes, apparently they are a thing. I had not seen one IRL before and just thought it worth sharing.

When I said "one-off" I meant it in that the abalone was quite obviously done by hand, making it unique by inclusion of it's imperfections and pieces used in the inlay.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Yeah they all appear to be slightly different.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"