Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building my own pedal board

Looks cool.

I loved my Hejne board... I moved on to a Gator board with a soft case, but I'm not feeling it...

I have been tempted to make a new one using the larger 77cmx47cm shelves (my first was the 77cmx28cm one).

I wonder how the weight is vs the Pedaltrain type aluminium boards of similar size?

mocked up with pedals

next step will be isolated power supply and new patch cables
    Build 1: Non-PBG Flamed Maple LP - Wine Red
    Build 2: JRM-1DC - The Butterscotch Belle

Pedalboard Build

4. Liked by: Guvna19

that's were the money comes in, power supply and cables.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Yep. So may be a while before I get to that.

For anyone interested, the BD-2, DS-1 and TS-9 are all Robert Keeley modded pedals
    Build 1: Non-PBG Flamed Maple LP - Wine Red
    Build 2: JRM-1DC - The Butterscotch Belle

Pedalboard Build

Looks good man
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

I got a couple of Vitoos PS1 units via Ebay from a seller in China. For my home setup they seem to work okay. They may not be as noise free as the more expensive units but for the price I'm not complaining. If you are serious about recording or gigging with a cranked amp then these may not suit everyone’s needs (due to "hiss" noise), but for a quite good home practice rig they are great...

In my practice/home rig into my JVM (or any effects loop gifted amp) I typicaly use two units, one unit on the input jack pedals (Wah, tuner, Big Muff, TS9, etc..), and a second unit on the effects loop (phaser, chorus, flanger, delay, etc..).... As I'm not much for metal OD tones so I tend to stay away from uber high gain, if I select the JVM OD high gain channel I get what I consider to be considerable "hiss" which is to be expected and most probably is just my JVM being a JVM, but on the clean channel with all the effects hooked up it's hiss-less and which is quite fine for me. I've tried using one PS1 on both the input and the loop effects at the same time and had nil issues... for the price they are definitely worth a try...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VITOOS-P...put-8-Way-U3P8
    Last edited by Marcel; 03-02-2018 at 03:05 PM.

I'm using a couple of the "caline power" cheapies and do the same, the gain/EQ and compressor on one and the chorus,reverbs and delays that go to the effects loop on another. I don't get much noise, but then I don't play at high volumes to really notice it.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

I've got a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, mine's all stock except the indicator led, swapped it out for a blue one.

I used to use an MXR Power Brick to power my pedals but found that I would get hum noise coming through the amp, I tried switching back to 9V batteries and the hum went away.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 03-02-2018 at 05:05 PM.

It's the digital pedals that really need to be supplied from a power supply with isolated outputs as they do tend to suffer from adding digital noise from even small ground loops, which isolated outputs avoid.

I've got a couple of Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 units on my board and even with them, and their all-isolated outputs, I still got very audible digital nose when using a couple of the Andertons Tone City pedals (chorus and phaser) together on the same PSU. Feeding them from different PSUs cured that (they are both gone from by board now).

Your board is only as good as its weakest link. So use decent patch leads and spend a bit on your PSU(s). I say you should spend as much on each one as you are prepared to spend on a pedal. No point spending $200 on a pedal (times the number of pedals on the board) and then $40 on a PSU for them that adds extra noise to the sound.

The problem is knowing what are good and bad pedal PSUs. I've never seen a true shoot-out in a magazine and have yet to look on-line (but doubt I'll find any tests conducted with any decent analytical equipment).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast