Thread: Buying Reason 10 in two fortnight's time.

Buying Reason 10 in two fortnight's time.

Hey Everyone,

I've decided to go ahead any buy myself a full copy of Propellerhead Reason 10 in a couple of fortnight's time, going to be buying it online from the Propellerhead website, I had been thinking of getting a full copy of Reason 8 for a long time, but since Reason has been updated to version 10, it looks like Reason 8 is no longer available.

I guess it's about time I got myself out of my comfort-zone and tried other DAWs, besides, I feel like my main DAW FL Studio is not really inspiring me much anymore, the good thing is that Reason supports something called the Re-Wire protocol, and it can be used as both a Re-Wire host and a Re-Wire slave, FL Studio can also be used as both a Re-Wire host and slave.

What is Re-Wire anyway?, first of all, it's a protocol, secondly, it's a special studio software technology which allows one piece of DAW software to be used with another DAW simultaneously as a plugin, so, you could do something like using Reason as a drum sequencer in Cubase (latest versions of Cubase also support the Re-Wire protocol) and then use Cubase to record all your live instrument tracks, this is cool because Reason will then lock it's tempo to it's Re-Wire host's tempo and everything will play back in sync.

When you say "to be used with another DAW simultaneously as a plugin," does that also mean it enables you to have more than one interface device? Or different interface devices of separate PC's all going into one 'Master" recording? Or does it only sync playback?

So many questions... New technology can be awesome yet for the newbie it's very scary and daunting at the same time...

Re-wire is really a 'bodge' program to get programs talking together that normally wouldn't work together. It doesn't allow the use of multiple interfaces (something you can normally do on a Mac but not on a Windows PC which will only work with one ASIO driver at a time - though I believe you can use multiple interfaces from one manufacturer if they use the same common ASIO driver). Whatever the host/master DAW is, the slave DAW/Rewire slave has to use the same interface and driver as it only talks to the master DAW, not the driver directly.

My brother uses Cubase with Reason running via ReWire. He produced Drum n Bass music.

As they say, a change is as good as a holiday. Sometimes fiddling about in a new DAW really brings some new inspiration.

I changed from ProTools to Ableton Live and I really like that as my DAW now.
    Build 1: Non-PBG Flamed Maple LP - Wine Red
    Build 2: JRM-1DC - The Butterscotch Belle

Pedalboard Build

Quote Originally Posted by churchie View Post
    My brother uses Cubase with Reason running via ReWire. He produced Drum n Bass music.

As they say, a change is as good as a holiday. Sometimes fiddling about in a new DAW really brings some new inspiration.

I changed from ProTools to Ableton Live and I really like that as my DAW now.

I've got Ableton Live 9 Standard on my studio PC, it's a great DAW and I like it too, my favorite feature in Ableton Live is it's really good beat-matching which is essential if you're working with audio loops.

Update:

Well, I finally managed to buy myself a full legal copy of Reason 10 earlier this week, it installed on my studio PC with relatively few issues although I did have to go through the process of downloading about 6Gb worth of extra content before I could try playing one of the demo songs, the good news is I only had to do that once, the registration process was relatively painless too, the software registration is linked to your account at the Proppellerhead website, anyway, the software sounds really good and it seemed to work with my Focusrite saffire Pro 40 audio interface with no issues, it should work fine with all audio interfaces that support the ASIO protocol (for PCs, I'm not sure what the current intel Macs are using), seems to be running fine on Windows 10 64 bit.