Thread: ES-5V First Build

ES-5V First Build

Hi All

I am very excited to be starting my first build ES-5V. I did have an ES-125 many years ago so very nostalgic for me.

I hope to make it DT Butterscotch finish.

My first question is how to mount the P90 pickup. It does not sit flush on the curved raided soundboard surface. The dog ears are about 5 mm above the soundboard. What is the best way to mount it? I think the possibilities are:

1. Cut a bigger hole so only the dog ears stick out.
    2. Carve the black plastic cover away until the pickup fits flush.
    3. Make up an appropriate spacer.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Steve W

Looking forward to your build Steve W. I'm no expert or reliable source, but I believe someone shaped the pick up in a previous ES-5V build (which I can no longer find). Curious to know how you ended up with a guitar played by Mr Pass. I have a custom ES-3 on order but find the ES-5V rather tempting. Good luck with your build.

No.3 is probably the best option. You can buy pre-made spacers, e.g. https://www.realparts.com.au/p90-pic...ers-black.html but I suspect you'd still need to sand them to match the curvature of the top (place some sandpaper face-up on the top and rub the spacer back and forth, not side to side, until the spacer sits nicely on the top. A spacer is also going to be the only way of adjusting the height of a dog-ear P90, so it's probably best to wait until the guitar is nearly fully assembled so you can determine what height spacer you need.

No.1 moves the pickup further way from the strings, whilst no.2 is going to be hard to get to look quite right (and I'd use the sandpaper on the top method of creating the curve rather than carving the plastic), as you won't be able to add a curve to the ears, so they'd still stick out a bit.

Thanks guys for your informative answers.

My next question is that by body came with no pre-drilled holes for the pots and output jack.

I'm nervous about drilling the holes and ripping the plywood. Any suggestions and a suitable method or drill bit please.

DarkMark - I was very lucky to meet Joe Pass on a rooftop carpark in Melbourne years ago (he had a very big tough minder with him). I had my ES-125 with me and he was kind enough to play a quick piece for me and shake my hand. Absolutely fabulous. He was my guitar hero before this and now forever will be. I only wish I had thought to get his autograph but I was too stunned really.

What a great experience and memory.