Thread: Rotary tool options?

Rotary tool options?

Dremels seem like the standard, but there's so many options out there. What have you guys had success with to bevel edges, finish, route extra pickup cavities etc? Thanks for your replies!

Derek.
    Last edited by Derek82; 29-12-2017 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi Derek, Dremels and their myriad clones are okay to tidy up an existing rout, but to do one fresh you’d really want a palm router as a minimum. You’d need to pre drill, or “hog out” with a series of Forstner bits first and then use the router to clean up to your template.
    The dremel style tools with appropriate bases do make good jobs of things like inlay or adjusting control cavities where you don’t have a lot of material removal to do, but you’d be taxing it, and your patience to do a full humbucker rout with one. Just my Humble opinion of course, I’m sure there’s guys who’ve done it with a dremel.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Similarly to what FW said, Dremel for tidings but I use an $79 plunge router from the big green shed for proper routs. It does the job
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Cheers guys!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

I just got the cheap Ozito "rotary tool" to enlarge the vibrato route on my JZ-1 (so I could put in a Squire vibrato).

I am really happy with it so far... compatible with Dremel accessories etc...

Next on my list is a plunge router to be able to do more complex routing.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek82 View Post
    Dremels seem like the standard, but there's so many options out there. What have you guys had success with to bevel edges, finish, route extra pickup cavities etc? Thanks for your replies!

Derek.
    This isn't a rotary tool but I have used Shinto saw rasps to bevel edges of guitars and create arm and belly contours. It's a very nice tool to have and it's made in Japan so it's high quality.

I have a dremel 400 it has been fairly useful for a lot of different projects though don't expect too much from them as they're more suited to light duties.

The bloke from Crimson Guitars uses a proxxon brand rotary tool which looks a little more robust than the dremel I think they're around $180-200 rrp.