Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: My RCA-4 Build :-)

Your diagram has the correct idea but unfortunately won't work. As you have both outputs from the switch joined at the mono jack then they'll also be permanently linked for both channels of the stereo jack. What you need is to either separate the two signals/outputs whenever a stereo plug is inserted, whcih requires a 'switched' stereo jack. Or, connect the two signals when a mono plug is inserted (which is how Rics do it), which requires a 'switched' mono jack.

Stereo switching requires a standard mono jack and something like the normally closed Switchcraft 14B stereo jack (there are other types):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14b_product.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	24431

Essentially one output from the switch goes to both the switching lug & ring lug on the stereo jack and then to the tip of the mono jack. The other output from the switch goes to the tip lug on the stereo jack. When there's no plug in the stereo jack the tip shorts with the switching lug and thus connects your two outputs for the mono jack, but when a stereo plug is inserted the two outputs are separated as two channels.

Mono switching requires a standard stereo jack and something like the normally open Switchcraft 13A (I think) mono jack:

Name:	13a_product.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	435.0 KB 
ID:	24430

The switch outputs would go to the tip and ring lugs on the stereo jack and then to the tip and switching lug on the switched mono jack. Whenever a plug is inserted in the mono jack the switching lug gets connected and the two outputs are linked for mono output.
    Scott.

Scott, Thank you very much.
    I had to read that a few times but now I understand!
    As I have a standard stereo jack I will get the switching mono type.
    I would never have worked this out without your help so thanks again :-)

At the Legion I presume ?

Quote Originally Posted by stuzl873213 View Post
    At the Legion I presume ?
    Yes that's right.
    Good music and good beer - ticks a lot of boxes for me :-)

Progress update -
    I have done 3 deep colour coats and 3 base coats.
    It is fair to say the burst idea didn't work. I think I chose two colours too close to each other so when trying to blend I just mixed the two into one halfway shade.
    There are a few uneven patches where I think I have sanded too much or more likely not enough but I'll live with that as I think it keeps some of the natural vibe of the wood.
    I am really pleased with the neck as I know the maple doesn't take the stain too well but it has come up really silky with almost a glow to it in the right light.

Name:	IMG_1635sml.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	269.2 KB 
ID:	24746

Name:	IMG_1636sml.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	321.5 KB 
ID:	24747

Name:	IMG_1637sml.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	668.4 KB 
ID:	24745

So a couple of days to cure then clear coat on the body but I'm going to leave the neck as it is

I like the very subtle burst effect you've achieved. It looks very classy to me and I'd be happy with it if it was mine.

It's very difficult to get exactly the finish you want using stains unless you are very experienced. Until you get to that stage (and that certainly not me), as long as you end up with a finish you are happy with. then consider it a job well done.

Thank you Simon that is very much appreciated.
    I am certainly happy with it even though it isn't quite what I had in mind :-)

That is a lovely stain colour, I've used Wudtone a couple of times but not that one........yet

That’s come up really well Gary!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Thanks for the positive comments guys.
    I 'unmasked' the fretboard and found that the binding was mostly clean with just a bit of scraping to do in a couple of area.

Name:	IMG_1638sml.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	275.6 KB 
ID:	24761

JohnH I am very impressed with your acoustic refurb thread.
    You have inspired me to dig out my first guitar. It is a sorry looking, cheap and nasty nylon strung acoustic which has been long neglected. My next project will be to see if I can inject some life back into it :-)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast